Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dash Lights Going Crazy and Wont's Start

Old 08-20-2015, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Lights Going Crazy and Wont's Start

I have a 09 Wrangler X. My dash gauge lights start going crazy and the odometer scrolls with hot/ oil etc. Jeep continues to run, but the AC seems to go out. When I tun it off, it will not start. No juice, but the battery is fine. May take 4 to 15 turns before it starts. Other times, it starts right away. Dealership replaced the ignition switch awhile ago, but blame the problem on after markets lights etc.

Had the battery load tested and the battery is excellent as is the alternator.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance!

Here is the link to the video of my dash going crazy!
https://youtu.be/NHdmyPwkRiE

Last edited by ChanceBewith; 08-22-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Crazy dash antics are caused by:
Bad/loose battery connection
Bad ground
Bad battery.
Check all three.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ChanceBewith
... May take 4 to 15 turns before it starts. ...
Does this mean the engine is cranking, but not actually starting? Or that the starter motor is spinning and the engine is not rotating (starter is not engaged with the flywheel)? Or that the starter doesn't turn, or turns very slowly and the engine doesn't fire up?
Old 08-21-2015, 04:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Does this mean the engine is cranking, but not actually starting? Or that the starter motor is spinning and the engine is not rotating (starter is not engaged with the flywheel)? Or that the starter doesn't turn, or turns very slowly and the engine doesn't fire up?
No engine crank, starter spin etc. It;s like the battery is completely dead, except the dome light is on. I have a remote starter and that to does not work. I think it may have something to do with the wiring in the ignition switch, but I am not electrician.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Crazy dash antics are caused by:
Bad/loose battery connection
Bad ground
Bad battery.
Check all three.
Will try!
Old 08-21-2015, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 09 Wrangler X. My dash gauge lights start going crazy and the odometer scrolls with hot/ oil etc. Jeep continues to run, but the AC seems to go out. When I tun it off, it will not start. No juice, but the battery is fine. May take 4 to 15 turns before it starts. Other times, it starts right away. Dealership replaced the ignition switch awhile ago, but blame the problem on after markets lights etc.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance!
Here is the link to the video of my dash going crazy!
https://youtu.be/NHdmyPwkRiE
Old 08-21-2015, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Here is the link to the video of my dash going crazy! https://youtu.be/NHdmyPwkRiE
mine was similar when the battery died. Jumped it and took a drive. Dash lights were going whacky as was tach. Replaced battery. Instantly fixed the problem. Others on here posted that a loose battery terminal caused theirs.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same issue with my 2013 JK 2-door earlier in the year. It would start out fine for about 3 to 5 minutes and the dash would go crazy blinking as your video showed. When I turned off it would not restart for 15 to 20 minutes. Ended up towing to the dealership. They replace the PCM along with 2 wiring harnesses. Thee had it for about 3 weeks. I had originally tried tightening the battery connection and even disconnected to try and reset. Since I got the Jeep back not a single problem. Probably not what you want to hear. Thank God I was covered under warranty.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:22 PM
JK Freak

Sounds like the alternator to me.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

No engine crank, starter spin etc. It;s like the battery is completely dead, except the dome light is on. I have a remote starter and that to does not work. I think it may have something to do with the wiring in the ignition switch, but I am not electrician.
It could be. And I know that you wrote the battery is good. But how did you determine that? What age is the battery? What type of warranty did it have? Batteries usually don't last much longer than their warranty periods. Have you tried turning on the headlights when the engine won't crank? A dome light doesn't draw much current, but the headlights (or any extra lights you've added) will put a bit more load on the battery. Do the headlights by any chance dim when the engine is idling, then brighten up when you get on the gas? Even those aren't reliable checks of the battery; it really needs a proper load test. Bottom line: How did you test that battery? If it was the dealer, really recommend that you pull it, take it to your local auto parts place, and have them test it.

When you reinstall the battery, ensure that you clean the battery clamps. There are special wire brushes for that purpose--the parts store will sell you one. Once you've put the battery clamps back on and cleaned up and inspected all of the various connections on the clamps, spray just a tad of WD-40 on the battery terminals and clamps. That will keep corrosion from starting up (you don't need those silly felt disks the parts store sells to prevent battery terminal corrosion). I respray those clamps with just a smidgen of WD-40 every time I change oil.

As for the ignition switch: While at the parts store pick up a can of CRC electrical contact cleaner. Use the straw that comes with the can and spray that into the ignition switch, stick your key in, and rotate it around. Do that quickly because the cleaner evaporates almost immediately. Do several times.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 08-21-2015 at 11:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Dash Lights Going Crazy and Wont's Start