Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Daystar Lower Dash Panel Clips - help!

Old 07-03-2015, 06:02 PM
KMM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daystar Lower Dash Panel Clips - help!

I got my Daystar lower dash panel all wired and switched up but I can't get the damn thing to clip back in. I can push it flush, but the stock clips just will not clip in. I've tried bending them differently, I've tried wrapping them in electrical tape...nothing.

I don't want a permanent or damaging solution like screwing it in so all the people out there with daystar lower panels -- what did you do?!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure there's nothing interfering with it closing all the way?

You can maybe carefully bend the plastic tabs a tiny bit so they catch better
Old 07-03-2015, 06:13 PM
KMM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-FREAK
You sure there's nothing interfering with it closing all the way?

You can maybe carefully bend the plastic tabs a tiny bit so they catch better
Can't see anything interfering and I can push it flush, I just can't get it to stay there.

I've tried bending the full tab up and also tried bending up the middle catch of the orange clips with no luck
Old 07-04-2015, 07:11 AM
KMM
JK Enthusiast

Bump, any another tips?
Old 07-04-2015, 11:38 AM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same issue with mine. The clips just don't grab, so I'm probably going to put some screws in it.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine clipped in just fine once I got it to fit. I couldn't get it to slide all the way down. I actually had to trim something off the panel to get it to slide in all the way.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha....you think that they woulda made em better. My fix was this. I dabbed a small amount of superglue on the fattest part of the clip. Smashed the panel into place and pushed hard and held for about a minute. It held fine. I later yanked it out a few months later to swap out a switch and it broke the superglue bond without damaging anything. I repeated the process after making the change. Worked like a charm. I tried everything before trying this method. Hope that helps.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:13 PM
JK Newbie

I messed with mine all the time and could get it to stay for several hours at a time but after months of fixing it every day I finally put two small screws in it and never looked back. I know this is not what you want to hear but it worked.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 PM
KMM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm gonna try some metal clips from the older JKs and when I discover that those don't fit I'll try the glue route. Had considered hot glue before but superglue is an option too. Screws if those don't work!

Kat
Old 07-16-2015, 05:31 PM
KMM
JK Enthusiast

Hot glue tried but I don't think it was a match for North Carolina humidity. Super glue for the win! It's holding when I want it to and will still let me pull it out when I'm set up for the lights for the last 2 switches.

Quick Reply: Daystar Lower Dash Panel Clips - help!