Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dome Light LED

Old 01-17-2017, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome Light LED

Bought some LED replacements for my dome lights at autozone for my 2007 JK. Last night I was walking past the jeep and noticed a slight glow coming from both of the dome lights. i since pulled them out and put the stock ones back in but thought that was really weird. Anyone else seen this? I do currently have a bunch of issues I'm dealing with so it might be related. horn doesn't work, and just recently the jeep died while driving and will not restart, i have no power to the OBD port so may have PCM or TPIM issues.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I didn't experience that exact same thing, but in general have had odd results with LED dome lights. My '13 didn't like LEDs in the dome. With them installed, the map lights on my rear view mirror would stay on constantly. IIRC, it was with the LED in the front dome on my 4dr, and it was fine with the LED in the rear dome. 2 different buddies with '14s has zero issues with the same bulbs. I couldn't stand having one dome with LED and one not, and didn't like the idea of removing the map lights, so I just left both domes with factory bulbs.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what i have read its a Canbus issue and you need to buy a Canbus LED bulb for the rear dome since you have a 4 door. Search google and you will get a bunch of hits but here is a link that should help https://www.tapatalk.com/topic/55828...ior-light-kits.
The following users liked this post:
VTLuke9 (10-01-2019)
Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maldoro
Bought some LED replacements for my dome lights at autozone for my 2007 JK. Last night I was walking past the jeep and noticed a slight glow coming from both of the dome lights. i since pulled them out and put the stock ones back in but thought that was really weird. Anyone else seen this? I do currently have a bunch of issues I'm dealing with so it might be related. horn doesn't work, and just recently the jeep died while driving and will not restart, i have no power to the OBD port so may have PCM or TPIM issues.
its because there is constantly a small amount of current in the lines for the dome lights. I had the same issue when i tried to use cheap resisted type leds. If you want to use led in the dome light you need some that have a led driver built into them then they only light up when a certian ammount of voltage is applied.

i had some modified RV disk lights in mine for a while till one of the driver modules died then i replaced them with some first gen sylvania 194 1w leds till i can fab up some new disk types.
The following users liked this post:
VTLuke9 (10-01-2019)

Quick Reply: Dome Light LED