Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

door lock problem

Old 11-13-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door lock problem

Here lately my doors won’t unlock with the button on arm rest. Driver door does but the other three and tail gate will not. They will lock but not unlock. Not all the time just most of the time. Windows are fine just the locks. Any ideas?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I have never had mine behave like that. But, assuming the conditions are the same when they work as when they don't work....

The most reliable, efficient, and accurate means to diagnose the power lock system requires the use of a scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual. The scan tool can provide confirmation that the Control Area Network (CAN) is functional, that all of the electronic modules are sending and receiving the proper messages on the CAN data bus, and that the power lock motors are being sent the proper hard wired outputs by the relays for them to perform their power lock system functions.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

I know that this is an older thread, but were you ever able to figure out what was wrong? I'm having the same problem as you were or are. Its driving me insane...
Old 05-20-2014, 11:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine started yesterday.
It's locking all 5 doors (incl tailgate) just like it should, but only the drivers door would unlock. Fob or actuator on the door is the same.
Even when you leave the Jeep, kill engine and open the door it won't unlock the others, just the drivers one.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, whatever, a few hours later it's working flawlessly. Those gremlins...
Old 05-25-2014, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

And again.
I suspect the TIPM, got the security light and TPMS flickering going down the road. I hope it doesn't get rid of its wiper fluid while the horn goes next.. Those shitty electronics...
Old 09-25-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I was just about to post a question, then did a search!

2009 JKU. Power door locks power windows. Automatically set to lock at 15 mph as well. They have started sporadically working. It takes sometimes just once to make the doors lock, sometimes it takes a few times, sometimes I give up and leave it unlocked. I do take the doors off from time to time, and after the last time, this has gotten worse. The auto-lock at 15 mph does the same thing described above. Doesn't matter if I use the driver door or passenger door, same thing as above. The key fob does the same thing as manually doing the button on the door. I have reset the battery. I have put dielectric grease on all the connectors. Not sure what else to look for.

So getting it scanned is the deal here or has anyone else found anything specific? Will the free ones at Autozone or other parts store do, or is this something that needs to be taken in to the shop?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I actually have the same problem as the OP. 2009 JKU X. It's been this way off and on for the past year. Sometimes it just won't unlock anything but the driver's door, then it'll work fine again. I haven't had any other issues at all. No lights on the dash, etc. I've just learned to live with it I guess. I probably shouldn't, but since my warranty is just the drivetrain at this point I'll probably just wait it out until it stops working on a more permanent basis and then try to figure out what's up.

Also, I doubt this is anything that the scan tool at Autozone is going to be able to identify. IF it's something that could be found by one it's probably going to be the one the dealership uses. But even then I wouldn't count on it...
Old 04-21-2015, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2010 rubicon unlimited

I am having the same problem...Doors not unlocking except the drivers door. Mine is a hard failure. I tried all of the thread fixes and I've scheduled an appointment..I'll let you know what they find..

Quick Reply: door lock problem