Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Whats a good 12 volt source to wire a CB Radio?

Old 07-25-2007, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats a good 12 volt source to wire a CB Radio?

I just bought a tuffy roof console thing to install a CB radio into. Im wondering where there would be a good 12 volt power source i should wire it too? How about future items? Maybe something switched with the ignition for future reference..

Thanks.

p.s. Ive been thinking about buying a wiring kit with fused circuits just for this purpose to wire accesories to. Any thoughts?

Cb Radio/lights/stereo amps/scanner ect..
Old 07-25-2007, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

See my post from earlier today: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/wiring-powerpole-12152/

You don't have to get as elaborate as I was, but one thing to consider is that the greatest enemey of mobile radio communications is alternator/engine noise. Best way to combat that is to wire directly to the battery. I recommend it.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Default Batt-man

It seems like everybody who's chimed in on other cb install related threads said to go off the batt-that's what I did-seems to work fine.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default rigrunner 4005

I just ordered a rigrunner 4005 in a kit that included, powercord, fuses, and 25 feet of 12 guage powercable with 10- 30amp powerpoles..

Thanks
Jeff
Old 07-26-2007, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since the JK has a sensor that will freak out with extra wires, go right off the Batt but remember to shut it off when you park. Thats what I did.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Since the JK has a sensor that will freak out with extra wires,
wtf ?

I don't know who told you this, but do everyone a favor and don't repeat it anymore.

There is no sensor that will... I can't even retype that. Anyhow, thats not correct.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by este
wtf ?

I don't know who told you this, but do everyone a favor and don't repeat it anymore.

There is no sensor that will... I can't even retype that. Anyhow, thats not correct.
Yeah...don't know what you're talking about troy_boy. There should be no problem tapping into a switched 12V source or even constant if you want. But its just as easy to run it to the battery. That's what i did too.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by troy_boy
Since the JK has a sensor that will freak out with extra wires, go right off the Batt but remember to shut it off when you park. Thats what I did.
WTf? If you think this is true, could you please show us this mystery sensor?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

if you have a cb that is drawing alot of amps "high powered cb" you want to go off the battery put a fuse close to battery and close to radio both positive & neg. side and run big wires for big radios. if you are running a teeny weeny rig then go off cig.plug
Old 08-02-2007, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

cig lighter

Quick Reply: Whats a good 12 volt source to wire a CB Radio?