Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dual band radios and jeeps

Old 09-11-2016, 02:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K running the risk of pissing off the ham guys. I and some of my wheeling partners are adding dual band radios to our rigs. We will use these on road trips and on the trail. I don't have a ham license and don't intend to get one. I'm not looking to do "HAM" communication stuff. Just want better comms for my wheeling trips. We will be on obscure unused channels. Curious what sort of feedback this sparks.

Last edited by Wrangeler X; 09-11-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah sure no real HAM stuff just transmitting at 50 watts. You sound like one of the yokels who crank out 300 watts in their CB and screw up the airwaves. I guess you don't intend to get a license since you're too stupid to pass the test. Is that a good enough opinion of what a HAM thinks? KG6GQS.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by davescott
Yeah sure no real HAM stuff just transmitting at 50 watts. You sound like one of the yokels who crank out 300 watts in their CB and screw up the airwaves. I guess you don't intend to get a license since you're too stupid to pass the test. Is that a good enough opinion of what a HAM thinks? KG6GQS.
That's pretty good. Only 10 watts though
Old 09-11-2016, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Do yourself a favor and study for the test. Then you'll be legal, know what you're doing and you can give your call sign on the radio and feel like you've done things the right way.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

10W will still travel a long way. If you had a HAM license you would know that you need to transmit your call sign and you don't just transmit on whatever frequency your radio will work on.
Nothing like coming on a public forum saying you going to break a federal law either
This whole post is full of stupid.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Seriously? You are showing tremendous disrespect and demonstrates a fundamental element of being a ham. You are proving your ignorance by not thinking you should get the license. Study a little and take the test' it is not that hard.

Or or stick to CB and the FRS, GMRS where licensing is either not required or can be had for a fee, without a test.

Be a man and do the right thing.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:20 AM
JK Newbie

You should study for the Test. The technician is easy to pass with a little work. I think the license is good for 10 years. You will also make allot of very experienced Ham friends who will be more than willing to help you with any radio questions, etc. Just a suggestion...
Old 09-12-2016, 02:22 AM
JK Newbie

One other thing. Once you get on 2 meter / 70 cm, you will never want to deal with CB again. It is much more functional.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

All feedback taken Thanks?
Old 09-12-2016, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, reading these post makes me want to avoid ever being associated with the "HAM" crowd. Those are the kind of attitudes I would expect if you were asking "How do I mount this Hummer hood on my Jeep?". WTF

All my friends use the Baofeng UV-5r Ham radios and program them for GMRS/FRS. They transmit at 1,4, or 8w are light weight, better, clearer, and more reliable than CB. You can get them on Amazon for approx $25.

And just to stir the pot.... They are programmed to all the local stations/repeaters and could be used "illegally" if someones life was in danger. (not that I would, which is why I carry a Spot at all times.... But you could )

Quick Reply: Dual band radios and jeeps