Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dual band radios and jeeps

Old 09-12-2016, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Study and get the license. The study guide has all the questions and all the answers. You could pass one around with all your buddies. There are a couple sites on the web that have the questions and answers loaded and you can do the tests over a couple of time, then take the real test. The license is good for 10 years and only needs to be renewed with no retest.

Advertising straight out that you don't intend to follow the law and asking for a response will get you one. I'll give you a little better one.

The usable frequency ranges are limited. When ever the government releases one, it goes on auction. Big corporations pay big bucks for them and want more. They want our frequencies. The HAM radio frequencies are self regulated. Private groups make up the test and give the test. The FCC does send out the license.
If the frequencies are abused or become an issue, it would be very easy for the FCC to take away our use.
So you will see HAMs get a little defensive when someone is willing to abuse that right and states it in public. You may not foul up the frequencies, but without knowledge, you may be blocking or stepping on repeaters in your area. There are no rarely used frequencies. Different frequencies have different ranges of bleed over. So there are established ones that we use. If you are on 455.100, you may be able to hear someone transmitting on 455.105. So someone who doesn't know could mess up two established known frequencies because they are using one in between. A little knowledge goes a long way.

You may not have any impact on the world of HAMs, or you may be the group of good ol' boys that ruin it for everybody, cause you just don't want to be bothered to get your license.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks RedSyndrome for that information.

I believe that the OP's angle was very similar to my own use case. I don't have any desire to utilize ham frequencies but like the idea of the more powerful Baofeng Ham radio that can be used on frs/gmrs freqs. I can buy this radio for cheaper than the store bought frs radios and I understand the risk and irresponsibility of just randomly dialing in any freq into it and broadcasting and have no intention of doing so.

Questions:
Is there any legal issue with these being used for frs/gmrs other than there being a limit on transmit power guidelines?
Would you need to be Ham certified for use on FRS/GMRS? If so, Why?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2016, 02:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide9
Wow, reading these post makes me want to avoid ever being associated with the "HAM" crowd. Those are the kind of attitudes I would expect if you were asking "How do I mount this Hummer hood on my Jeep?". WTF

All my friends use the Baofeng UV-5r Ham radios and program them for GMRS/FRS. They transmit at 1,4, or 8w are light weight, better, clearer, and more reliable than CB. You can get them on Amazon for approx $25.

And just to stir the pot.... They are programmed to all the local stations/repeaters and could be used "illegally" if someones life was in danger. (not that I would, which is why I carry a Spot at all times.... But you could )
WOW....that like telling someone to go drive a car without a license. Just because you own a car doesn't mean you can legally drive it. Same idea with a HAM just because you can buy one doesn't mean you can legally use it. Transmitting 1,4,8W on FRS is also illegal but if you had a license you would know that. Triangulating your position is not hard, step on someone legally using that frequency and you may find out how easy it is to find you. HAM user have competitions on this very thing.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

https://www.fcc.gov/general/general-...o-service-gmrs
Old 09-12-2016, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jchappies
WOW....that like telling someone to go drive a car without a license. Just because you own a car doesn't mean you can legally drive it. Same idea with a HAM just because you can buy one doesn't mean you can legally use it. Transmitting 1,4,8W on FRS is also illegal but if you had a license you would know that. Triangulating your position is not hard, step on someone legally using that frequency and you may find out how easy it is to find you. HAM user have competitions on this very thing.
I think you are missing my point. Not on HAM frequencies but FRS/GMRS. I am asking if these radios can be used without requiring a license. If the minimum setting is 1w and they are only being used on FRS/GMRS they seem like a better option.

I found this info from the same link you posted:

"If you operate a radio that has been approved under the GMRS rules, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS transmitters generally transmit at higher power levels than is allowed in the FRS and may have detachable antennas. (Note that some dual-service radios transmit with higher power on FRS channels 1 through 7; these radios can be used without a license only on FRS channels 8 through 14.)"

So it looks like you can use these without a license on 8-14... But not on FRS 1-7 because the max power rating allowed without a license from my understanding is .5w. So if the radio is capable of transmitting at this lower power then you should be good for 1-7.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

I think you are missing my point. Not on HAM frequencies but FRS/GMRS. I am asking if these radios can be used without requiring a license. If the minimum setting is 1w and they are only being used on FRS/GMRS they seem like a better option.

I found this info from the same link you posted:

"If you operate a radio that has been approved under the GMRS rules, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS transmitters generally transmit at higher power levels than is allowed in the FRS and may have detachable antennas. (Note that some dual-service radios transmit with higher power on FRS channels 1 through 7; these radios can be used without a license only on FRS channels 8 through 14.)"

So it looks like you can use these without a license on 8-14... But not on FRS 1-7 because the max power rating allowed without a license from my understanding is .5w. So if the radio is capable of transmitting at this lower power then you should be good for 1-7.
Right but you still need to get a license for GMRS, you would be WAY better off to just get a HAM license IMO
Old 09-12-2016, 03:00 PM
JK Freak

https://www.fcc.gov/general/family-radio-service-frs
Old 09-12-2016, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

I'm not the frequency police, you know if your breaking the law. FCC fines are not cheap.
People FOX hunt for fun https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmitter_hunting
Just know there are others listening in and scanning frequencies just to triangulate you.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jchappies
I'm not the frequency police, you know if your breaking the law. FCC fines are not cheap.
People FOX hunt for fun https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmitter_hunting
Just know there are others listening in and scanning frequencies just to triangulate you.
Am I reading this wrong?

"these radios can be used without a license only on FRS channels 8 through 14"

If using these channels we shouldn't be breaking any laws.

Last edited by Riptide9; 09-12-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, reading these post makes me want to avoid ever being associated with the "HAM" crowd. Those are the kind of attitudes I would expect if you were asking "How do I mount this Hummer hood on my Jeep?". WTF

All my friends use the Baofeng UV-5r Ham radios and program them for GMRS/FRS. They transmit at 1,4, or 8w are light weight, better, clearer, and more reliable than CB. You can get them on Amazon for approx $25.

And just to stir the pot.... They are programmed to all the local stations/repeaters and could be used "illegally" if someones life was in danger. (not that I would, which is why I carry a Spot at all times.... But you could )
The OP mentioned risking pissing off the ham guys, so he knowingly poked the bear here. He did not mention using FRS, GMRS frequencies, just 'obscure'. Without studying, how would he even know what is obscure or even if there is such a thing. If one doesn't want to get a ham license, then go GMRS, and pay the fee for a license to run higher power. Don't expect a warm welcome when you start by acting as though you are special and don't intend to follow the rules and federal law. And yes, there are the die-hard guys that triangulate offenders, document the offenses and report them to the FCC.

The ham community will welcome you if you simply play by the rules. Lots of folks around here are not serious hams, but they took a "ham cram" class and got their license to help with large cycling (bicycle) rides. The Technician license is easy to get, the test isn't that hard. I have known learning disabled licensees.

As another person pointed out, amateur radio is self-policed and the Feds will take spectrum away if it falls to misuse. Please get a ham license and do things right, or stick to the other alternatives mentioned.

Quick Reply: Dual band radios and jeeps