Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dual tone horn wiring

Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual tone horn wiring

2012 Wrangler Sahara.
I have a set of PIAA horns coming to replace my wimpy stock horn. The question I have is about the wiring. Some say paralell.....some say in series. Now I am not sure and I really don't want to burn out a relay or cause some problem with the remote start or alarm system. Some say include a relay. Some say the stock setup will handle the two horns. If so.....which way to wire them so I don't blow the stock wiring....Anyone done this for real? Feedback needed please. Include a link to a write up with pics maybe???

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Guyver Arahas
2012 Wrangler Sahara.
I have a set of PIAA horns coming to replace my wimpy stock horn. The question I have is about the wiring. Some say paralell.....some say in series. Now I am not sure and I really don't want to burn out a relay or cause some problem with the remote start or alarm system. Some say include a relay. Some say the stock setup will handle the two horns. If so.....which way to wire them so I don't blow the stock wiring....Anyone done this for real? Feedback needed please. Include a link to a write up with pics maybe???

Thanks!
I just installed the Hella Supertone Dual horns last week. It comes with a relay. All you need to do is plug the factory wiring into the new relay, which can be mounted with the same screw from the factory horn. Then just run a hot wire from the battery or fuse box to the relay. Then run two wires from the relay to the horns and ground each horn. That's it. It's one of the easiest installs that I've done.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If the stock system will support one of the horns you have, the other horn can be connected to the other unused horn fuse.
There is no wire under the fuse, so a fuse tap would be needed.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I mounted a big snail horn from an F350. Traded my take off springs and shocks for it and a few other parts at the salvage yard. Used the original horn wiring to set off a relay then powered both the F350 horn and my original horn from a separate power feed. I tried piaa but they were just not right for a jeep. The big truck horn plus the stock horn has a great sound and is seriously loud. I had to suspend the horns from a mount I made that I riveted to the hood frame.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

When it comes to wiring I am an amateur at best. If someone could help with a simple diagram (nix the fancy electronic symbols) I would greatly appreciate it. I agree this should be a simple install. However I just don't have the wiring skills to be confident enough with just a verbal description. Also if I am to use a relay....What type and spec? I understand what a relay is. I don't understand which wire to connect to what terminal on the relay. Having said that it seems the spare fuse idea would be a bit simpler. Yet again. I do not understand what the wiring should be. Please forgive my ignorance.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When it comes to wiring I am an amateur at best. If someone could help with a simple diagram (nix the fancy electronic symbols) I would greatly appreciate it. I agree this should be a simple install. However I just don't have the wiring skills to be confident enough with just a verbal description. Also if I am to use a relay....What type and spec? I understand what a relay is. I don't understand which wire to connect to what terminal on the relay. Having said that it seems the spare fuse idea would be a bit simpler. Yet again. I do not understand what the wiring should be. Please forgive my ignorance.
Ron's idea is great for full integration into the OE system. But here is another idea that may be easier for you.

1) Go to your local automotive shop and purchase a complete aftermarket lighting harness.
2) Install the harness in the engine bay and connect the lighting leads to your new horns.
3) Cut the switch away from the new lighting harness.
4) Connect the OE horn wires to the wires that was attached to the aftermarket switch.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the responses. However I need to know specifically about the connections. Most people are telling me to go with connections in parallel. That I do understand. Still.....I do not want to ruin anything. I guess the worst that could happen is I blow a fuse.....????
Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for all the responses. However I need to know specifically about the connections. Most people are telling me to go with connections in parallel. That I do understand. Still.....I do not want to ruin anything. I guess the worst that could happen is I blow a fuse.....????
Series would double the load. And the horns probably wouldn't work anyway. Parallel is the only choice. The extra horn will be adding more load than you should apply to the OE system. Will it work? Maybe. Will it blow a fuse? Eventually. Could you mess something up? Possibly.
You have been given information to do the install correctly. Either option only takes a little bit of work. Why take the chance for a horn?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2011 Sahara came with 2 horns. However wasn't dual tone anyway or it was and only one of them was working.
One of the horns was right behind the front bumper, the other one behind the left headlight.
I removed the one from the bumper when I installed the AEV bumper.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by crusaderJK
My 2011 Sahara came with 2 horns. However wasn't dual tone anyway or it was and only one of them was working.
One of the horns was right behind the front bumper, the other one behind the left headlight.
I removed the one from the bumper when I installed the AEV bumper.
Ron has illistrated how to integrate a second horn into the OE system. You should never assume that you can add any device to any circuit.

Quick Reply: Dual tone horn wiring