Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Easy Switched Power Source

Old 09-06-2015, 03:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
The section on the left in the picture that I outlined is actually part of the power outlet circuit, no? That is what I was referring to.

In the ways I show the tap installed at the beginning of this thread, the part you have outlined in red is part of the battery bus, or the accessory bus. The other leg goes out to the load. So, the wire at the top of the tap isn't part of the original load circuit.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So there are two different paths from the bus up the left pin to the fuses? I didn't know that. I haven't pulled one apart. That's awesome and quite an ingenious idea. I'm guessing split with an isolator in between. Thanks for letting me know. That one little bit always made me cautious. Not an issue when tapping an empty slot but always a consideration for me when tapping an occupied slot.

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-06-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

So there are two different paths from the bus up the left pin to the fuses? I didn't know that. I haven't pulled one apart. That's awesome and quite an ingenious idea. I'm guessing split with an isolator in between. Thanks for letting me know. That one little bit always made me cautious. Not an issue when tapping an empty slot but always a consideration for me when tapping an occupied slot.
I'm not sure what you mean.
Both fuses are connected to the left leg in the picture. The bottom fuse sends power out the right leg to the original circuit. The top fuse sends power out the wire to an added circuit. Neither circuit adds a load to the other. The bus, which feeds the left leg, sees both loads, but it is a steel bus bar, making overloading the bus virtually impossible.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I'm not sure what you mean.
Both fuses are connected to the left leg in the picture. The bottom fuse sends power out the right leg to the original circuit. The top fuse sends power out the wire to an added circuit. Neither circuit adds a load to the other. The bus, which feeds the left leg, sees both loads, but it is a steel bus bar, making overloading the bus virtually impossible.
So the left leg is capable of carrying both circuits no matter what the load. In other words, it is capable of carrying as much as the bus?
Old 09-06-2015, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

So the left leg is capable of carrying both circuits no matter what the load. In other words, it is capable of carrying as much as the bus?
Yes, but keep in mind, the right side of the tap can carry only what the top wire can handle, plus whatever the original circuit's wire under the TIPM can handle. Those two limiting factors are a lot less than what the bus can supply.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:15 PM
JK Junkie

That's good and thanks. I always worried about that little section having a change in demand.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, but keep in mind, the right side of the tap can carry only what the top wire can handle, plus whatever the original circuit's wire under the TIPM can handle. Those two limiting factors are a lot less than what the bus can supply.
So my aux. light switch only has a 2 amp fuse in it and the rear outlet is 20 amp so running both on the M7 slot should be fine, correct?
Old 09-07-2015, 02:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
So my aux. light switch only has a 2 amp fuse in it and the rear outlet is 20 amp so running both on the M7 slot should be fine, correct?
That is correct.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Kicking this up as I need a fuse that is hot in both run and start for my usage. Been searching and haven't found a answer.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your TIPM (fuse box) is set up like my 2008 is....

Here is a way to get switched power from the fuse box. It's easier than installing wires in the connector under the TIPM, although not quite as clean an install.

The fuse tap came from Advance Auto, Buss catalog # BP/HHH. It is rated for 10 amps, so that will be the max fuse you should put in it. (edit: I have seen them rated as high as 30 amps, too.)
For use as outlined, only the top fuse position can be used, as the bottom fuse would send power to an empty wire socket in TIPM connector C6.

Score, thank you sir! Now I won't kill the battery again!

Quick Reply: Easy Switched Power Source