Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Easy Switched Power Source

Old 10-07-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Cool! Thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 04:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Any thoughts on the position of the M7 fuse?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Any thoughts on the position of the M7 fuse?
Sorry about not responding, but I don't quite understand what the question is.
The m7 slot has no effect on the outlets in the Jeep. It would normally be for a third one in the back.
With the fuse tap in the acc/run position, your cb will be on any time the key is not in the off position. The tap is rated for 10 amps, but I've seen the same tap rated higher on other web sites.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-08-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry about not responding, but I don't quite understand what the question is.
The m7 slot has no effect on the outlets in the Jeep. It would normally be for a third one in the back.
With the fuse tap in the acc/run position, your cb will be on any time the key is not in the off position. The tap is rated for 10 amps, but I've seen the same tap rated higher on other web sites.

Thanks.. I was writing my response above as I was exploring the fuses...

Here's my question..
You wrote above that M7 has no effect on the outlets.. I don't have a third outlet in the back, so I wouldn't expect Chrysler to include a fuse in that slot, especially a 20 amp. I'll check today as to whether the two outlets I have are impacted by this fuse.

The second half of the question...

M7 has three available slots in it..

X X X

In your picture M7 is like this..

X - -

And mine is

- - X

" - " represents the two legs of the fuse

" X " represents the unused third slot for M7

With the two legs of fuse occupying the " - " spots.. I should just go take a picture of it...

As you have it... X - - M7 is hot on Acc & Run.

As I have it... - - X M7 is hot only on Run.

I am trying to put the puzzle pieces together. Why do I have a fuse for an accessory the jeep is not equipped for and why is in a different spot than yours. All I can come up with is...

X - - Is for when there is a rear accessory outlet and,

- - X Is for when there is no rear accessory outlet.

Last edited by MikekiM; 10-08-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Thanks.. I was writing my response above as I was exploring the fuses...

Here's my question..
You wrote above that M7 has no effect on the outlets.. I don't have a third outlet in the back, so I wouldn't expect Chrysler to include a fuse in that slot, especially a 20 amp. I'll check today as to whether the two outlets I have are impacted by this fuse.

The second half of the question...

M7 has three available slots in it..

X X X

In your picture M7 is like this..

X - -

And mine is

- - X

" - " represents the two legs of the fuse

" X " represents the unused third slot for M7

With the two legs of fuse occupying the " - " spots.. I should just go take a picture of it...

As you have it... X - - M7 is hot on Acc & Run.

As I have it... - - X M7 is hot only on Run.

I am trying to put the puzzle pieces together. Why do I have a fuse for an accessory the jeep is not equipped for and why is in a different spot than yours. All I can come up with is...

X - - Is for when there is a rear accessory outlet and,

- - X Is for when there is no rear accessory outlet.
M7 is for a third outlet in the back. The way the fuse slots are designed, the vehicle owner can select the outlet to be hot all the time, or hot only when the key is in the acc/run position.

All the ones I have seen with no third outlet, the fuse was in the X-- position. I don't know why yours is in the --X position.
As long as you don't have a third outlet, you can use the fuse tap in either position.

I don't know why there is a fuse installed for a non-existent accessory. They left the fuses out for some other unused slots.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

The way the fuse slots are designed, the vehicle owner can select the outlet to be hot all the time, or hot only when the key is in the acc/run position.
That's awesome. Can I ask how you know that? I've read most of the paper manual and never saw that. It's a great idea.

As long as you don't have a third outlet, you can use the fuse tap in either position.
Perfect then... I'll just shift it over to the other position.

Thank you very much!!
Old 10-08-2011, 02:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

That's awesome. Can I ask how you know that? I've read most of the paper manual and never saw that. It's a great idea.

Perfect then... I'll just shift it over to the other position.

Thank you very much!!
I know that because of the research I did for this thread:https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...y-Power-Source

After all that, remember...
I started the thread with the phrase "If your TIPM (fuse box) is set up like my 2008 is...."

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-08-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 PM
JK Jedi

M7 is for a third outlet in the back. The way the fuse slots are designed, the vehicle owner can select the outlet to be hot all the time, or hot only when the key is in the acc/run position.

All the ones I have seen with no third outlet, the fuse was in the X-- position. I don't know why yours is in the --X position.

I don't know why there is a fuse installed for a non-existent accessory. They left the fuses out for some other unused slots.
So if M7 is for a third outlet, which fuse is for the accessory outlet on the dash (the one on the right as you are looking at the dash from the driver's seat?) My right outlet doesn't work and I want to make sure I change the correct fuse.

Last edited by Sharkey; 10-23-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Sharkey
So if M7 is for a third outlet, which fuse is for the accessory outlet on the dash (the one on the right as you are looking at the dash from the driver's seat?) My right outlet doesn't work and I want to make sure I chapel the correct fuse.
On my 2008 JK, there are two power outlets on the bottom of the center stack.

The left outlet is #1, fuse #M6, wired to Accessory power.
The outlet on the right is #3, fuse #M36, always powered.

The optional outlet in the back would be #2, fuse M7, selectable ACC/BATT power.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Jedi

On my 2008 JK, there are two power outlets on the bottom of the center stack.

The left outlet is #1, fuse #M6, wired to Accessory power.
The outlet on the right is #3, fuse #M36, always powered.

The optional outlet in the back would be #2, fuse M7, selectable ACC/BATT power.
Yep, my M36 was blown. Thanks ronjenx! Strange thing is that according to the diagram in my box, M7 is #2 outlet and M36 is the #3 outlet (which doesn't exist in an '09). There is crap on my diagram that doesn't make any sense, like a spot for the power fold seat. If Chrysler is going to run generic boxes, the least they could do is pull wire into the cab off the empty spots. It would cost next to nothing on the front end and would make aftermarket installation of switches and such that much easier.

Edit: I just realized you said the same thing about M7 being #2. Why the hell would they call something that doesn't exist #2?

Last edited by Sharkey; 10-23-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Easy Switched Power Source