Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Electronic Throttle Control Warning/Drive By Wire Failure

Old 07-10-2014, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electronic Throttle Control Warning/Drive By Wire Failure

I presently have the Instrument Cluster Electronic Throttle Control Warning on my 2010 JK and the throttle pedal is completely dead, as in it will only idle with no response when the throttle pedal is pushed.
History: The jeep was running fine and I stopped for a burger. When I went to start the Jeep the battery was dead so I got a jump and proceeded home with a check engine light. When I got home and killed the engine I thought to see if it would restart and it did… once, on the second try it wouldn’t start. Was late at night so the next morning I removed the battery and went to Auto Zone in my wife’s car and had the battery tested, tested bad so a new battery was purchased. I returned home and cleaned the battery cables, weren’t in bad shape but just brushed them up real good and installed the new battery. I then started the jeep up and since there wasn’t a battery installed for a couple of hours all codes were cleared that caused the Check Engine light but I’m sure that was related to the bad battery.
Now I have the ETC light and my throttle pedal is dead. I feel sure that it is related to the battery being changed and I have read a few post on the internet about having the same issue after changing the battery or having a dead battery but no one has posted what fixed the problem.
Dance of the Signal Stalk and Throttle Pedal: I have read a couple of different “procedures” that was supposed to “pair” the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) and the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) that described manipulating the signal stalk and pressing the throttle pedal to the floor and releasing within a specified period of time. I have tried performed the two procedures multiple times and have not had any luck in getting my Jeep to respond to any throttle increase.
I have searched the internet for the wiring schematic for the TPS and APPS but have not found schematic for 2010 and newer Jeep Wrangler. I would like to test the APPS and see if there is any signal coming out but need a pin out of the connector to know what’s what.
If anyone knows how make the APPS come back to life I sure would appreciate you sharing the procedure. At the present time the Jeep is not drivable since it will only idle.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried another reboot (taking the battery off for 15 minutes)?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes I have had the battery cables of again. I had adjusted my tire size with a procal and even have gone back to stock with the procal and tried all previous pairing procedures. I really think removing the battery has been my source of the problem that I now have with a dead throttle pedal.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tps

I am almost certain it is the sensor on your pedal. I have seen two so far but the symptoms were only no power - you press it down to the floor and maybe you get up to 40mph over a small distance.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rhicksmtb
I am almost certain it is the sensor on your pedal. I have seen two so far but the symptoms were only no power - you press it down to the floor and maybe you get up to 40mph over a small distance.
You may very well be correct. I have looked unsuccessfully online to find a schematic that I can use to test the signal from the pedal and the feedback signal from the throttle position sensor. As I stated my pedal is completely dead and the engine will only idle. This only occurred after removing a dead battery and installing a new battery. It was running perfectly the evening before.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump to the top, hoping someone has a schematic of the Throttle Position Sensor and Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I finally got the problem resolved with the dead accelerator pedal. After replacing the bad battery the accelerator pedal was dead and didn't respond when pressing the pedal. The fix was the computer had to relearn the APPS. It took longer for the tech to boot up his computer than it did to fix the problem. He used the Chrysler scan program to scan the PCM and it indicated the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor was Maximum Pedal Failure and Minimum Pedal Failure (not exact wording but close) on both pedal sensors. He then indicated that he wanted to relearn the APPS, 6 seconds the the pedal to the floor and 6 seconds with "do not touch pedal" and it was done.
Of all the times I have seen people say to disconnect the battery to fix this or that computer problem, I wouldn't ever give that advice after a simple battery replacement that caused this sensor to be "lost" to the computer.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Warning/Drive By Wire Failure