Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Factory Fog Light Switch

Old 08-21-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
visibility. Fogs run a broad beam light, lower than the line of sight so the light itself isn't reflected back to the driver. Ever try to drive at night, in dense fog with high beams? That'll explain it.
CORRECT dont use highs in fog, however its backasswords ,with that thinking shouldn't the highs turn off when the fogs are on .
I'm to old school just let me drive - not the g d computers !
Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tazzdogsocal
CORRECT dont use highs in fog, however its backasswords ,with that thinking shouldn't the highs turn off when the fogs are on . I'm to old school just let me drive - not the g d computers !
my fogs do turn off automatically with high beams on. Yours don't?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

The factory settings shut off the fogs when hi-beams are turned on. Since its a CAN-bus it can be reprogrammed. My SuperChips FlashCal was able to override the settings so fogs stay on with hi-beams. For wiring the LED bar to the factory fog switch I strongly recommend you run a fused 12v+ with proper fuse and wire size for the light and not use the factory harness to deliver the load. Length of run and number of required amperage factor into determine wire gage and fuse size. By using a relay you can use the positive from the factory fog light connector/harness as the switch trigger (pos 86) for the relay while the load comes from pos 87 of the relay. Connect pos 30 to the fused 12v + from the battery and pos 85 to a factory ground on the fender or the negative post on the battery. I also used the ground on the factory fog light connector for the ground to the lights since the wire gage was the same. I was able to use a female pin wire connector on my after market wires to plug into the factory harness so I didn't need to cut it off or splice into it. Works perfect and no worry of the CAN-bus freaking out if the lights pull more amps than the factory ones did and I can easily revert to stock.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
visibility. Fogs run a broad beam light, lower than the line of sight so the light itself isn't reflected back to the driver. Ever try to drive at night, in dense fog with high beams? That'll explain it.
I even lower my low beams before I turn on the fogs. Comforts of an export Jeep
Old 08-25-2014, 09:43 PM
JK Newbie

I had a Dodge Magnum with the CAN-BUS system. There is a DOT regulation for the fogs to turn off with the high beams. To get the magnums fogs to stay on, I just took it to the dealer and out it in "export" mode for the lights. Luckily the dealership didn't know about the reg, heck they even did it for free for me.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used my flash cal and fogs now stay on with high beams
Old 09-04-2014, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkelly311
The factory settings shut off the fogs when hi-beams are turned on. Since its a CAN-bus it can be reprogrammed. My SuperChips FlashCal was able to override the settings so fogs stay on with hi-beams. For wiring the LED bar to the factory fog switch I strongly recommend you run a fused 12v+ with proper fuse and wire size for the light and not use the factory harness to deliver the load. Length of run and number of required amperage factor into determine wire gage and fuse size. By using a relay you can use the positive from the factory fog light connector/harness as the switch trigger (pos 86) for the relay while the load comes from pos 87 of the relay. Connect pos 30 to the fused 12v + from the battery and pos 85 to a factory ground on the fender or the negative post on the battery. I also used the ground on the factory fog light connector for the ground to the lights since the wire gage was the same. I was able to use a female pin wire connector on my after market wires to plug into the factory harness so I didn't need to cut it off or splice into it. Works perfect and no worry of the CAN-bus freaking out if the lights pull more amps than the factory ones did and I can easily revert to stock.
You will find that the factory Can Bus harness for the fog lights will need a capacitor installed inline to stabilize the voltage. Otherwise after a while of operation the relay coil will heat up and the contacts will start to chatter due to the fluctuation in Can Bus voltage. This has been a documented problem with many Jeep owners.

Quick Reply: Factory Fog Light Switch