Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2012 retro solutions HID issues

Old 10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 retro solutions HID issues

I bought a Retro Solutions 55w bixenon kit for my 2012 JKUR and installed tonight. I have installed many HID kits now and always seem to have an issue with one light not coming on at first or other issues but never have I had a kit not work at all. I used the relay harness supplied with the kit and made sure I used good clean grounding points where required. Nothing. I unhooked and reconnected all connections, rechecked grounds, etc.....nothing. The only sign of anything happening is when I put high beams on, I can hear the relay in the harness click. I used the passenger side factory headlight plug for the relay signal because the battery being on that side and wiring would be too short if I used driver side. Im at a loss. Im not sure if my relay harness is bad or what. I cant blame bulbs or ballasts yet because neither work. I gave up tonight and put stock bulbs back in and they work fine. Ill call retro tommorow but wanted to check here first and see if anyone had a similar issue. Thanks

Dave
Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I believe you're running into a Canbus issue. They had a very hard time solving the issues on my 2011. Not sure what they finally did, something about Canbus delete ?? and a new harness. I do know I'm out a Shit load of money, but now my HID's work the way they were originally intended.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a 2008 Ram and other than wiring up resistors I had no issues. That was a canbus vehicle so I dont know. They told me they knew exactly what I needed so we will see. Thanks!

Dave
Old 10-25-2012, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

After doing some troubleshooting Im finding that I have power at relay harness and am still getting no light, flicker, nothing. When I hit high beams to see if I hear anything it blows main fuse on relay harness. I did a rough install and grounded everything at battery so I know grounds are good. I even flipped polarity in ballast inputs and no change. Im thinking bad relay harness. Now Ive bought three kits from Retro 2 non canbus and this is my first canbus kit from them. I gotta be honest, Retro has a good track record across the forums but the relay harness they gave me looks and feels like a cheap piece of chinese junk. Im kind of disappointed considering the price of their kits and the fact that you pay extra for the relay harness. Im going to give them a chance to make good....for now.

Dave
Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just got an email from Todd at Retro. I was apparently sent the wrong harness accidentally and they are sending out the correct one. Hopefully that corrects everything. Will advise and post pics upon install.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 PM
JK Newbie

Interested, Looking to put them in after I get back home from Korea.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DSmith1178
Just got an email from Todd at Retro. I was apparently sent the wrong harness accidentally and they are sending out the correct one. Hopefully that corrects everything. Will advise and post pics upon install.
I love my HIDs from retro solutions but the first set I got from them was wired wrong had to send back and give me a new one...PITA
Old 10-27-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got the correct relay today and had the kit installed in 35 minutes. Lights look great and no flickering or lamp out light. 1000x better than stock and its not even fully dark out yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4095161168.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	383018
Old 10-27-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

What kit did you use? I'm a light noob and i'm not sure what to get
Old 10-28-2012, 01:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the 55w H13 Bi xenon kit with 8000k bulbs.

Quick Reply: 2012 retro solutions HID issues