Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

First Light- Advice Requested

Old 11-27-2015, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Light- Advice Requested

Hi all-

I've got a 2013 JKU, and I'm looking to add my first light. Or as my wife calls it, Jeep jewelry. :-)

I'm looking at the Rigid E2 10" combo to mount above my winch. Northridge is running a pretty good deal.

Some questions:

- Is this a good first light for my rig?
- If not, what would you recommend?
- Should I do a Spod with it, to allow for future easy additions?
- If so, which Spod should I get? I can't figure out the different combos?
- If not, how would you mount the internal switch?

I appreciate all of your learned advice!

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2015, 02:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rigid is a good company and they make great lights. A sPod is a little bit overkill when you only have 1 circuit, especially when Rigids come with a complete wiring harness. Mounting the switch is completely up to you. Sit in your Jeep and move the switch around until you find a spot you'd be comfortable drilling a 3/4 inch hole. I temporarily zip tied my Rigid DOT fog light switch to the turn signal since I'm getting the Switch-Pros panel when I get lockers. (I'll have 7 circuits at that point)
Old 11-28-2015, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That light is not something you'll be able to use with other cars on the road so please keep that in mind before you drop Rigid kind of money on something you can't use frequently. Most people with the 50" bars don't/ can't actually use them so it's more ornamentation than anything which is why they can buy a cheap bar.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look into the truck lite headlights dot approved and you will be using it all the time legally
Old 11-28-2015, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacebc
Hi all-

I've got a 2013 JKU, and I'm looking to add my first light. Or as my wife calls it, Jeep jewelry. :-)

I'm looking at the Rigid E2 10" combo to mount above my winch. Northridge is running a pretty good deal.

Some questions:

- Is this a good first light for my rig?
- If not, what would you recommend?
- Should I do a Spod with it, to allow for future easy additions?
- If so, which Spod should I get? I can't figure out the different combos?
- If not, how would you mount the internal switch?
Rigid lights are very well made.

There are different lights for different uses, the question is what's your intended use.
Are you looking for some 'jewelry' on your Jeep, or for actual use?
As 'Jewelry', then the Rigid E2 10" combo is a pretty nice gem.
It will blind on-coming traffic. It's located a bit too high to serve as true fog light.

The stock Jeep headlights are pretty weak, so I'd start with replacing them with much better headlights, such as the TruckLite. As you are at a cold & snowy country, I'd get the model that warms the lens, so snow doesn't stick on it.
The TruckLites have very good high lights.

Next, I'd get good & strong fog lights, preferably yellowish -- which penetrates rain/snow/fog better than white light. Those should rather be TRUE fog lights, meaning that they give a wide light spread, so you can see the road or trail sides.

Then, the most effective position for additional lights, is above the drivers' eye level, which means on a light bar.
Those, too, can be used only when there's no on-coming traffic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Bar Location Advantage.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	631134

Click image for larger version

Name:	# Below vs Above Line of Sight.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	631135

Lights on the A-Pillars are very popular, look good, but not optimal location for actual use. If they are flood, they reflect off the hood - which is disturbing. If they are spots, they won't reflect off the hood, but they also would not be as effective as higher mounted light bar lights.
One effective use for A-Pillar lights, is when used as floods which are aimed about 45 degrees to the sides, to widen the illumination on road/trail sides.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-28-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Great information! Appreciate everyone's help!
Old 11-30-2015, 11:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another options are the Slimlites. To me they look more suited for jeeps and they are durable.

Quick Reply: First Light- Advice Requested