Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Footwell lights hooked up to both dome light settings for each side

Old 02-10-2014, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Footwell lights hooked up to both dome light settings for each side

I am wanting to install some LED's under the dash on the driver and passenger side in my Jeep that have a few different power sources.

My sources are:
*I want to have a switch that I can turn on and off that will turn on both sides on the LED's.

*I want to have both sides hooked up to the dome lights so that they will come on every time the dome light comes on. (yellow with white tracer wire)

*I want to have each side connected to the light that is turned on when the dome light switch is turned on for an individual side. So if the passenger turns on their dome light, the led's on the passenger side will only turn on and not the driver side.

From what I've read I might need a diode to stop the current from turning on all the lights when one power is turned on. And I guess you have to use a resistor with the diode? I thought it would be fairly simple to install but I and thinking this might be a lot more complicated.

I am installing about 14 individual blue LED's on each side.

It seems like the Yellow with white tracer is the wire that I want to tap into for the dome light to light up both sides at the same time but I really want to have it were I can only have one side at a time light up.

Thanks for any help on how to install these light. I am planning on hooking them up in parallel.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By going off memory from when I stripped the interior of my jeep id say follow the wire you are talking about into the doom light and see where it ends so that you can pick up individual power for passenger and driver light inside the dome light then just tap into each wire there.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I could probably design a circuit for you that would work. But before I put much time into it I want to make sure of your wants.

A led strip added to both front footwells.

1. Both strips on with dome lights.
2. Both strips on with switch, no dome lights.
3. Individual strip on with individual dome for that side, driver or passenger.

Is this correct? Or do you want individual switches for each strip? If you want individual switches for each side then I think all you need is (2) 3 position switches. Something like this.

1 switch for both will involve multiple relays (probably 2 per side for a total of four) or four diodes.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:15 PM
JK Junkie

This would be the diode option.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:16 PM
JK Junkie

Think this would work for the relay option.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie

I tested the relay schematic option just to make sure it works and it does. I will have to pick up some diodes to test that version if you want. Anyway, as you can see from the pictures, most of the wiring is just between the relays, which I taped together to keep everything tidy. If I was installing this, I would zip tie them instead.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:25 PM
JK Junkie

Once I get the diodes in, I will test that schematic to make sure it works.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

VERY impressive assistance. For both footwell lights to come on automatically when the door opens would you use a three way switch with an automatic or normally closed position instead of a single pole switch?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DKehler
VERY impressive assistance. For both footwell lights to come on automatically when the door opens would you use a three way switch with an automatic or normally closed position instead of a single pole switch?
Just connecting the led to the dome light positive will allow them to come on when you open the door since the dome lights come on. Making them switchable is what involves more work.

The switches I used in the schematic are just regular on/off/on switches. When the switch is in the down position, it connects the top pin to the middle pin. When the switch is in the up position, it connects the bottom pin to the middle pin. If you leave the switch in the middle position, then no pins are connected. So the way the schematic is drawn, leaving the switch in the down position will allow the corresponding footwell LED to come on every time the dome comes on. If you just want the footwell LED to come on, you would move the switch up which would disconnect the LED from the dome and connect it to a 12v power source.

I actually have one sitting on my workbench I picked up at Advance because I may need to use it in some testing. It is at the top of the pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	on-off-on switch.jpg
Views:	1840
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	597352   Click image for larger version

Name:	on-off-on switch 2.jpg
Views:	1444
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	597353  

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-18-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 PM
JK Junkie

Good news, Lange. The diodes arrived today so I should get to test it out tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Footwell lights hooked up to both dome light settings for each side