Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

fuse blowing

Old 07-16-2014, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuse blowing

Hi everyone. I need some help. I have a 09 jk unlimited 4 DR and took a road trip to Florida with the family from Chicago. When I arrived somebody info me that my brake light was out. So no problem. Went out and put a new one. But it still didn't work. Went to check the fuses under the hood and found a blown fuses for the brake/parking lights. Replaced that and blew it instantly. Also replace all the bulbs on the drivers side. What am I missing?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it all the brake lights or just the spare tire light? My spare kept blowing the fuse for all the brake light bc the wire that goes through the back door and into the electrical plug was frayed from slight contact with the metal.it would be a good place to start.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by blindman99
Hi everyone. I need some help. I have a 09 jk unlimited 4 DR and took a road trip to Florida with the family from Chicago. When I arrived somebody info me that my brake light was out. So no problem. Went out and put a new one. But it still didn't work. Went to check the fuses under the hood and found a blown fuses for the brake/parking lights. Replaced that and blew it instantly. Also replace all the bulbs on the drivers side. What am I missing?
You found a fuse that covers the brake lights? (Not M1, which covers the center high mounted stop light.)
What is the fuse number that keeps blowing out?

Originally Posted by fultonromero12
Is it all the brake lights or just the spare tire light? My spare kept blowing the fuse for all the brake light bc the wire that goes through the back door and into the electrical plug was frayed from slight contact with the metal.it would be a good place to start.
The center high mounted stop light fuse being blown will prevent the other brake lights from coming on only when the ignition is off. With the ignition on, there are other sources that will trigger the brake lights, independent of the CHMSL fuse.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Well, my problem has now gotten worse. So, i put new bulbs in front turn signal, rear brake, and front fender. And installed a new fuse. Drove home perfect last night. Got in this morning and absolutely nothing when i turn the key! WTF happened? Thought it was the starter and put one in. Nope. That wasn't it. Then I checked the the bulbs I put in and found the front marker bulb has shorted to a point of melting the connecter it was in. Help!! I don't know what Happened. Just doesn't do anything when I turn the key.

Last edited by blindman99; 07-16-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

the short that melted your bulb has also drained ur battery. you must find the bad wire.

Quick Reply: fuse blowing