Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Genesis Offroad JK dual battery install

Old 12-02-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excellent write up

install looks great but wow that's very overpriced IMO for just some bent up aluminum
Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by hookedontronics
excellent write up ... install looks great but wow that's very overpriced IMO for just some bent up aluminum
You can buy "just some bent up aluminum" much cheaper than $479. Go out and price fabricating the cables and buying the battery isolator and it gets a bit more expensive. But, there are some savings (perhaps $200) if you decide to buy just a tray ($139 or so), and do the rest of the parts engineering and procurement yourself.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went to the Genesis web site and checked the install PDF. Very thorough.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also, M.O.R.E. makes a dual battery tray for 2012 and up. They also have a very good step by step install video. Their tray is 139. But doesn't come with smart isolator.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.dirty
One thing that I missed is that if you have the 3.8 Genesis has the evap solenoid covered. I lengthened my harness but the offer an extension harness with OEM connectors making this 100% plug and play. Also if your running the OEM Air box you will need to cut and save a small portion off your factory battery tray.
So for a 2012 would I get a harness extension? I didn't see it on the website.

EDIT: I watched their video and the extension is for 3.8l JKs. Wow, pretty impressed with the level of detail and thought these guys put into the design of this product! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xFPBFPKkF_Y Any forum vendors a distributor of this product?

Last edited by arjeeper; 04-14-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:59 AM
JK Super Freak

After reading more about it and watching the video, I just pulled the trigger on the Genesis kit! Been wanting a dual battery setup since I bought the Jeep in 2012. I just love the passion and attention to details these guys out into the product.

We need more of that in our product selection. Everyone wants a deal, but I'm getting worn out on poorly designed, poorly executed products.

I'll report back on how it all goes.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arjeeper
After reading more about it and watching the video, I just pulled the trigger on the Genesis kit! Been wanting a dual battery setup since I bought the Jeep in 2012. I just love the passion and attention to details these guys out into the product. We need more of that in our product selection. Everyone wants a deal, but I'm getting worn out on poorly designed, poorly executed products. I'll report back on how it all goes.
I am definitely a fan of this one and will eventually get one but it's close to $1000 if you include the batteries.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mr Jeepster
I am definitely a fan of this one and will eventually get one but it's close to $1000 if you include the batteries.
Yes, but the batteries cost the same no matter what option of tray/solenoid.

It's pricy for sure, but I'm hoping the price is money well spent. The smart solenoid, pre-wired setup, HD battery hold-down, and more is why I went for it.

It seems about the cheapest you could do (without self fabrication) is the M.O.R.E. Battery tray and the Rugged Ridge dual battery wiring. Together those are a bit over $300 already.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Got the Genesis in and installed yesterday. Went very smooth. I printed and pre-read the directions a couple times.

The only thing that seemed weird was the evap solenoid. I had to read that part a couple times as it seemed odd.

It all worked out and went quite well. Fitment was VERY good. Glad I opted for this tray/setup. Total install probably two hours. Make sure you have a cutting tool that can get back to the firewall bolts.

I thought I'd use a hacksaw on it, but couldn't get it back there so I had to take a break and run to grab a grinder/saw. Worked a charm!

I went with the Optima red top for the starting battery and the yellow top for the accessory battery. Both group 34 as specified. They both slid right in. Didn't think dual batteries would be this easy with the 3.6l.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1049472279.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	546722   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3457562320.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	546723  

Last edited by arjeeper; 04-20-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks clean! I'm using the rugged ridge tray, with the painless performance switcher and 2 diehard Platinums in the 3.8l

Quick Reply: Genesis Offroad JK dual battery install