Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Genesis Offroad JK dual battery install

Old 09-21-2013, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genesis Offroad JK dual battery install

It was time to upgrade the Jeeps batteries to keep up with all the add on accessories.

We went with Odyssey Batteries ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site

And the Battery tray is from Genesis Offroad JK Dual Battery Kit

I will say this is the easiest Dual battery kit to install on the market.

From Genesis's website discussing the key features of the kit.

Here's how it works.

When both your batteries are fully charged at 13.2 volts, they are automatically connected and are charged at the same time.
When you park and turn off the engine, but continue to use accessories such as lights or the stereo or a CB, both batteries begin to drain down.
When your main cranking battery reaches 12.7 volts, the smart isolator separates the batteries, so that your cranking battery will have enough power to start the engine. The second battery continues to power your accessories for as long as it will last.
After you crank the vehicle, your main cranking battery will be charged up to 13. 2 volts first, and then the isolator will begin charging your accessory battery. By only charging one battery at a time, your alternator is protected from excessive strain.

What if your cranking battery is somehow drained down too low to be able to start the vehicle? We have a solution for that.

Press the Start Boost button and the isolator will connect both batteries together for 1 minute, acting like built-in jumper cables to jump start your engine off your accessory battery.
As long as the combined voltage of the 2 batteries is at least 12.7 volts, you'll be able to start your vehicle instead of being stranded with a dead battery!
The alternator will charge both batteries for 1 minute, then switches back over to automatic mode to reduce the strain on your alternator.
A remote status indicator light can be added on your dash to show you when the batteries are connected, indicating that they are both fully charged.

And now on to the install

Old 09-21-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Old 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am very impressed. I was not considering doing a dual battery setup as some of the other "kits" have you sawing things in half and re-using them; no thanks. This setup though is more complete, and better thought out. If I do pull the trigger on a duel setup after I do the winch instanll and add a compressor with a sPod setup, it'll be this one.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do they use the Coleman Hersee smart isolator?

In my old rig, I had the Benchmark Designs kit and the Coleman Hersee SI, I plumbed the led light and switch to my sPod. Does this look possible in this kit? I'd rather stay in the vehicle to manually connect the battery (ie bad snow storm and the main battery dies. Self jumpstart while staying out of the elements.)
Old 09-21-2013, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Vin
Do they use the Coleman Hersee smart isolator?

In my old rig, I had the Benchmark Designs kit and the Coleman Hersee SI, I plumbed the led light and switch to my sPod. Does this look possible in this kit? I'd rather stay in the vehicle to manually connect the battery (ie bad snow storm and the main battery dies. Self jumpstart while staying out of the elements.)
It is definitely possible and could be done fairly easy. And yes its is the cole Hears isolator
Old 09-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr.dirty

It is definitely possible and could be done fairly easy. And yes its is the cole Hears isolator
Nice. Now all I need is money for all the mods going in on I my head.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

Did you upgrade your alternator?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
Did you upgrade your alternator?
Nope no need.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dr.dirty
Nope no need.
Right, sounds like it.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
Right, sounds like it.
The reason I said its not needed is that using the smart isolator it doesnt put any extra load on the alternator. It will charge your primary battery and then open allowing the AUX to get a full charge.

One thing that I missed is that if you have the 3.8 Genesis has the evap solenoid covered. I lengthened my harness but the offer an extension harness with OEM connectors making this 100% plug and play. Also if your running the OEM Air box you will need to cut and save a small portion off your factory battery tray.

Quick Reply: Genesis Offroad JK dual battery install