Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Go Pro Camera Bolt on mount

Old 10-17-2014, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is interesting. I've always used the roll bar mount and hooked it on my mirror (just under the mirror) and have pretty much the same view for a fraction of the cost.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by evoviii2jk
This is interesting. I've always used the roll bar mount and hooked it on my mirror (just under the mirror) and have pretty much the same view for a fraction of the cost.
You mean the same view as in post #10 by AngryRedBird?
There's a basic difference. In your videos, because the camera is fixed relative to your Jeep, the Jeep stays still and the trail is swaying.
Notice that in his video the trail stays horizontal and the Jeep is swaying.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep

You mean the same view as in post #10 by AngryRedBird?
There's a basic difference. In your videos, because the camera is fixed relative to your Jeep, the Jeep stays still and the trail is swaying.
Notice that in his video the trail stays horizontal and the Jeep is swaying.
Here is what I do

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141017_111105.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	580192
Old 10-17-2014, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
Reference video as directed by my comments above.

YouTube Link: http://youtu.be/FFcXnojXJHA

Note: One may need to turn down the volume before viewing.. unless country music is your thing.
That is really weird. Gimmicky, in fact, at least to me.

Serious question: Do all of you really consider this a better viewing experience? POV would have the viewer bouncing around. LOL: If you don't enjoy that, maybe you should stick to paved roads and malls.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
That is really weird. Gimmicky, in fact, at least to me.

Serious question: Do all of you really consider this a better viewing experience? POV would have the viewer bouncing around. LOL: If you don't enjoy that, maybe you should stick to paved roads and malls.
This is about perception.
When we offroad, we do not perceive the Jeep as static, and the trail ahead as bouncing and swaying. We perceive the trail as static and the Jeep and ourselves as swaying. That's, after all, what really happens, both physically and in perception, and that's exactly the case in that video, because the camera is stabilized relatively to the trail. (Except for left/right, of course.)

We're just too USED to videos in which it is the other way around - the trail is bouncing and swaying, which doesn't look like what we experience in real life.
(I am not saying that these are bad videos. We - and I - have been enjoying them very much.)

Gimbals, electric motors stabilizing or true Gyros, are commonly used for both stabilizing the image and for making it look real life-like.

Last edited by GJeep; 10-19-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is about perception, a subject which I studied.
When you offroad, you don't perceive the Jeep as static, and the trail ahead as bouncing and swaying. You perceive the trail as static and the Jeep and yourself as swaying.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I mount mine to my Grabars. Very secure and protected from mud and any pitting/scratching of the housing. As long as you don't have bugs on the windshield, you cannot tell that the camera is inside the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2600883819.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	580264  
Old 10-17-2014, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Guys I added this simple addition to my daystar dash panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2075015504.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	580269

I mounted, using screws, my iPhone cradle on the left and my GPS on the right. I'll get a picture tomorrow if anyone wants. It also left me enough room to put a pocket knife and small flashlight up there on their belt clips. I've captured some pretty good video and photos from this position.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

I got some video this weekend and will clip it down and post it up.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

This is about perception, a subject which I studied. When we offroad, we do not perceive the Jeep as static, and the trail ahead as bouncing and swaying. We perceive the trail as static and the Jeep and ourselves as swaying. That's, after all, what really happens, both physically and in perception, and that's exactly the case in that video, because the camera is stabilized relatively to the trail.
This vid is a prime example of what GJeep is saying.

http://youtu.be/VjK-asaqDMU

Quick Reply: Go Pro Camera Bolt on mount