Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Go Pro Camera Bolt on mount

Old 10-23-2014, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keithvegas
One of the difficult things about filming Jeeping is you really need a perspective tha gives you the view ahead but also a third person view of the Jeep to give the viewer a better idea of what is going on. This mount would limit your video to kind of a poor angle. I use a magnetic mount for a lot of my first person view stuff. Quick and mounts anywhere. I also use a roll bar mount with an extension a lot to get the view farther out but aimed back in a bit.

This site has some cool GoPro stuff. Mounts and Accessories for GoPro and DJI Phantom - The Accessory Pro

I've been accused of going overboard with mounts. I made a boom out of a caster wheel mount, a bunch of fender washers and a 10' stick of conduit. It looked ridiculous but the shot was very cool. This was the teaser I did to show it off.
I kike it Now imagine how gimbals at the end of the boom could make it smoother.
BTW, the boom is is sometimes noticed when it is reflected from the windshield & hood.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to try making a gimbal for the mount to the roll bar so the entire pipe would float but the design I was playing with for a cheap handheld was a failure so I never got into it. I was worried about mounting anything on the camera end because any weight there would need to be counterbalanced and I already had a pound of washers on it. I need to play with it again now that I have the lighter 3+s and don't need to put the heavy 2 on it. I want to put a collar in the pipe so I can break it down for transport.

I got the idea from diygopro.com. They have a lot of interesting homemade mounts and tricks. I basically took the idea from a helmet boom and made it bigger. The first one used pvc but the test drive made it bounce way too much.

I also made a hand held boom out of a monopod for like $14 from another site that lets you get close to the Jeep safely. When my homemade steadycam failed I bought a real Steadycam Curve which is expensive but worth it. I bought a DJI Phantom and mounted a cheap gimbal that works great for jeep stuff.

Really it is all about a variety of shots to keep the viewer interested. I did a short video of the 70+ gig of footage from Moab that kinda shows off a lot of different angles.

Warmachines 702 in Moab 2014 Short: http://youtu.be/Uxfr_yfPwos This one has some of my best quad copter footage but I didn't have the gimbal yet so I had to edit a lot of the bad footage out.

http://youtu.be/IMhORkheojg
Old 10-23-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bevan7170
Guys I added this simple addition to my daystar dash panel.

Attachment 580269

I mounted, using screws, my iPhone cradle on the left and my GPS on the right. I'll get a picture tomorrow if anyone wants. It also left me enough room to put a pocket knife and small flashlight up there on their belt clips. I've captured some pretty good video and photos from this position.
You got more pics?

Sent while my wife wasn't looking...
Old 10-26-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the best photo but you should get the idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3645399498.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	581710

Quick Reply: Go Pro Camera Bolt on mount