Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlights turn on when unlocking jeep

Old 02-10-2017, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights turn on when unlocking jeep

Hi, when I unlock my JK the headlights would turn on automatically. Is there any way I could turn off this option?

Thanks, Thomas.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

As far as I know this can only be done at the dealer using the StarScan tool.

You can disable the lights on lock using instructions in the owner's manual, but there is no way to disable on unlock.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

You can change it yourself if you have EVIC.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Potato Potato
As far as I know this can only be done at the dealer using the StarScan tool.

You can disable the lights on lock using instructions in the owner's manual, but there is no way to disable on unlock.
Wouldn't it make sense that if you follow the same procedure it would then disable on unlock? If I understand correctly other features work that way.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Its-a-JK
Wouldn't it make sense that if you follow the same procedure it would then disable on unlock? If I understand correctly other features work that way.
Referring to disabling the lights on lock as mentioned by Potato, above...
Following the same procedure repeatedly will toggle between on and off at the time you lock. It will have no effect on the lights when you unlock.

I have been trying for nine years to find a way to keep the lights off when I unlock. Even if the dealer could do it, I won't take it to them because they will charge more than I want to pay, and sometimes these features revert to the previous setting for no apparent reason.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the new models with the TPMS system it can be changed using menu>personal settings.
The choices are different whether you're engine off key on, or engine running parking brake set....I'm not sure which mode displays it.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After a flashed update my headlights would turn on when unlocking - small thing but you can't believe how mad I was because they never did it from new. For me, with a 2008, I had to tell the dealer how to set the delay to zero because I don't have the option of doing it myself. The headlights don't come on anymore when unlocking and my dome light still does (which I want).

Newer JKs have a key-switch dance that will turn this off (no headlights for unlock) but I don't know what the steps are. You can still have the dealer do it if they are doing something else for no charge (unless they are really crappy and you don't want to go to one like that anyway).

Quick Reply: Headlights turn on when unlocking jeep