Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HELP...'14 Rubicon 2DR electrical issues

Old 02-18-2017, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP...'14 Rubicon 2DR electrical issues

My apologies for the lengthy post. I have a 2014 Rubicon 2DR with 28,000 miles that I had purchased used in March 2016 with only 12,000 miles. The Jeep is stock other than AEV Premium Front bumper, Warn Zeon 10-S winch, IPF 900XS Xtreme Sport Series Driving Beam Light Kit, sPOD 8 Circuit SE System w\Touchscreen. I personally installed all of the above December 26, 2016. On January 2, 2107, I took the vehicle in to the Jeep dealer for an oil and filter change, and 4-wheel alignment. The dealer receipt also shows that they performed software flashes for TCM (TSB 21-026-15), WCM (TSB 08-068-14), PCM (TSB 18-060-16). The Jeep has performed flawlessly until this month when it started having all sorts of electrical issues...the Malfunction Indicator Light is constantly on following engine start. The instrument cluster will flash warning symbols and chime randomly. The Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light will come on shortly after engine start and initial acceleration. While driving, the Sway Bar Indicator Light, Hill Descent Control light, Air Bag Warning light and others are flashing randomly. Vehicle odometer message will randomly show “HOT OIL.” After several minutes of driving, the cooling fans turn on at high speed and remain on for a few seconds after ignition switch has been turned to the off position. While driving the Shift Lever Indicator on dash will randomly display all four selections simultaneously…”P”, “R”, “N” and “D.” When accelerating from a stop, the vehicle will randomly get stuck in low gear. I thought that the sPOD or winch might be causing the problem and disconnected both. However, the issues still exist. I disconnected the battery for several minutes and reconnected it only to have the same issues. On Feb 2, 2017 and with the winch and sPOD disconnected, I drove to the local Jeep dealer to have a "professional" diagnosis. The Jeep dealer diagnosed as follows..."ISSUES DUE TO CUSTOMER WIRING UP SPOD AND WINCH. CLEARED CODES WITH EVERYTHING UNHOOKED. TEST DROVE. NO OCCURENCE. HOOKED UP WIRING AND TEST DROVE AGAIN. LIGHTS AND CODES RETURNED." Not sure why the technician felt compelled to troubleshoot with the winch and sPOD reconnected given that I dropped it off with these accessories disconnected? Nevertheless, I asked the service department representative to have the technician disconnect the winch and sPOD, clear any codes and test drive again to ensure that the warning lights do not return. Couple hours later the dealer calls and say the Jeep is ready. My wife and son pick it up and as they leave the dealership, all the warning lights and chimes reappear. My wife immediately turns around and drives it back into the service bay to leave it with the dealer. The next day, the Jeep dealer customer service representative calls me to advise that there will be a $110 charge to diagnose the problem and she needs my approval to proceed. With my approval, the dealer began to diagnose. At mid-day, the Jeep dealer calls and states that the tech had to repair an OEM wire harness that was damaged due to poor installation of the sPOD. Confused, I had the dealer send me pictures given that the sPOD is not connected to any OEM harness. According to the tech, I had the sPOD wire that leads up to the LCD display in the cab wrapped around an OEM harness and it was tugging on the harness and damaged it (see photos). Technician clears codes, test drives and confirms the issues have been resolved. The next day, the same issues reappear. I decided to start troubleshooting myself. First, I checked to ensure that all grounding bolts I could find were tight. Second, I installed a new Odyssey Extreme Series battery. During the new battery installation, I noticed that the negative post clamp nut could be fully tightened, however, the clamp would still rotate around the post. I was convinced I had found my problem! Off to AutoZone I head to pick up some Battery Post Shims. With shims installed on the negative post and absolutely no movement in the negative post clamp, I take it for a long test drive. No warning lights, no chimes and presumably the problem was solved. Four days later, while driving, I am now randomly getting the MIL light, occasional chime combined with the Shift Lever Indicator on dash displaying all four selections simultaneously…”P”, “R”, “N” and “D.” The Sway Bar Indicator Light will occasionally come on and go off. When accelerating from a stop, it occasionally seems stuck in low gear? I am at a loss as to where to look next? Is it possible that the Jeep dealer software flashes noted above have caused an issue? Any suggestions on where to turn next would be greatly appreciated. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjg6kl8zogwmq3v/Video%20Feb%2005%2C%2010%2058%2013%20AM.mov?dl=0 Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Feb 07, 4 41 21 PM.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	666839Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Feb 07, 4 41 25 PM.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	666840Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Feb 18, 1 21 03 PM.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	666841
Old 02-18-2017, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you upgrade stay away from the dealer. I did a 2.5 inch lift and took my Jeep to dealer for a free service. The dealer upon inspection told me I needed to repackage all ball joints. It's a 2015, ordered new!!!!

I told them in so many words to pound sand.

Researched and solved myself.

I suggest a good aftermarket shop...

Luke

Quick Reply: HELP...'14 Rubicon 2DR electrical issues