Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help with license plate light relocation wiring

Old 06-11-2015, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with license plate light relocation wiring

I need help. I've searched but still can't find the info to help me figure out the correct wires to tap when I relocate my license plate and light to the spare tire in the center of the tailgate. My new mount came with a third brake light andd license plate lift. I got the brake light, but no clue which wires to tap for constant light for the plate. And where to find those correct wires. There a bunch of wires inside the rear tailgate, but I don't know what those are

Thanks for your help
Old 06-11-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ddubb
I need help. I've searched but still can't find the info to help me figure out the correct wires to tap when I relocate my license plate and light to the spare tire in the center of the tailgate. My new mount came with a third brake light andd license plate lift. I got the brake light, but no clue which wires to tap for constant light for the plate. And where to find those correct wires. There a bunch of wires inside the rear tailgate, but I don't know what those are Thanks for your help
I tapped the power outlet by the OEM sub. The license plate lights are on when the key is on, but it doesn't matter because they are LEDs.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

White/purple is what I used.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same. White purple. When in doubt, strip a small section and test it out I went to the passenger side read brake light
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1476249431.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	614512  
Old 06-12-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

I used the factory plug from the existing license plate light so nothing was spliced. Just left pig tails on the plug to solder new wires. Ran everything in the same loom as my rock lights and rear camera. You can also use scotch locks (hate them!) on the passenger taillight wiring, mentioned above.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you all for the info, very helpful. I am going to go try this today and let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Help with license plate light relocation wiring