Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help: Not all of the interior lighting works (dome, window switches, consule).

Old 10-01-2014, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Not all of the interior lighting works (dome, window switches, consule).

Need help troubleshooting interior lighting problems. Window switches, power door locks and shifter position indicators do not light up and the dome light does not turn on when opening doors.

So I have had my ’11 JKU Rubicon for 3 years now, and it’s time to figure this out, find and fix this annoyance.

A little background info first… I ordered my ’11 JKU-R COD:Black Ops through military car sales and took delivery of it near the end of 2011 here in Korea. A few days before I was to pick it up, the car sales guy took it to get washed and noticed the radio would not turn on. So he took it to a local shop that handles all the warranty work for them. Somehow they narrowed it down to the infinity amplifier. They ordered the amp and I took possession of the Jeep. Out of curiosity, I looked over the radio, saw the fuse for the radio was blown, replaced the fuse. Turn the ignition on and fuse pops. Unplugged the amp, replaced the fuse and turned ignition on and the fuse does not pop. The warrantee replacement amp was going to take 2 months to come in, so I ordered a Kicker upgrade amp off the net, installed it and turned it on and everything worked great, no popping fuses. 2 months later the replacement Infinity amp came in, so I out of curiosity, I plugged it into the harness and it worked great too, no popping fuses. So at this point I accept the fact that for some reason, the original stock amp was shorted internally somehow.

From the first moment I owned my Jeep, the dome light has not turned on when you open the doors. I asked here a dozen times and I even tried to find some local 2011 owners, but couldn’t find anyone, and couldn’t get any answers. I read about the dimmer switch controlling things, but no matter what position the dimmer is in, there is no change. It wasn’t until just recently when I was hanging around with some other Jeep owners, that I saw their window switches and gear indicators also light up and dim, which mine has never done.

What I could really use is a few schematics/diagrams of the electrical wiring related to 2011. All the links I have found here are either dead or not applicable to 2011. Because 3 items do not work properly, it makes me think, either the Korean shop that originally looked into the radio problem may have disconnected or broke something, or there was something else that could have also somehow caused the amp short. Trying to do search here is pointless because almost all electrical wiring topics are related to add exterior lights, not trying to fix interior lighting.

This is not my Jeep, just a reference as to what I am saying does not light up.

Last edited by aaron97; 10-02-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Realized one more set of lights that don't light up. The power down lock buttons on the doors, I just noticed yesterday that have light and should be lighting up too... I did find that the rear window switches on the back of the center console DO light up.

I got me a small multi-meter and check for power on the Orange/Grey wire on the back of the HVAC controls and there is nothing there. SO I don't see how that could be the dimmable source wire, if there is no power there and yet the HVAC controls are one of the very few things that light up and dim.

I did find a link to an ISO file of a 2007 JK Service Manual, so I downloaded it and luckily I had an antique IBM Think Pad with Windows XP and Explorer 6, so I am actually able to fully use the service manual program, but 2007 and 2011 are so different, it hasn't been much help.

Last edited by aaron97; 10-27-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I could really use some help right now. I am starting to suspect my soundbar/dome light was wired incorrectly from the factory.

I could really use a picture or two if anyone has their dome light or soundbar apart. I would like to see the order in which the wires are connected to the dome light assymble and it would be great if I could get a pic where you can see what wires are in what place coming out of the soundbar and into the chassis harness.

The reason I think something may be wrong, is because what I am seeing does not match any of the schematics that I have found. I have the 07-11 digital service manual and It shows 3 wires coming off the Dome light (BR, YL, YL/BR) and 3 wire (not counting audio) at the C308 connector (YL/WT, YL/BL, BK).

Soundbar to Main Harness - C308. (according to service manual)
Brown -> Yellow/White (Courtesy Light)
Yellow -> Yellow/Blue (constant +12v, i.e. Map Light)
Yellow/Brown -> Black (ground under seat).

What I am seeing at C308...
Brown -> Black
Yellow -> Yellow/White
Yellow/Brown -> Yellow/Blue

These are pictures of wire colors and pin-out location on my Jeep...

This connection is colored and pinned identical to the service manual...

This connection is colored and pinned identical to the service manual...

This connector isn't even close to matching things.

If I got this right, then constant +12v Reading Lamp (YL/BL) is going to the Ground pin (YL/BR) on the Dome Light, when it should be going Dome Light pin #2 (YL). The Courtesy Lamp (YL/WT) is going to #2 (YL) pin on the Dome Lamp, when it should be going to (BR) #3 pin to power the Reading Lamp. And the chassis Ground is going to (BR) #3 on the Dome Lamp, when it should have been #1 (YL/BR) Ground.

I mean is it really possible that its that messed up? I bought my Jeep brand new.... was the guy assembling this connector at the soundbar factory drunk?

Last edited by aaron97; 10-27-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just rewired the connector to match the schematic... didn't fix the problem and now the dome/cargo lights really don't work right... guess I will wait and hope a fellow Jeeper can check his/her harnesses and let me know what they see... Or if someone has a better schematic for 2011+, rather than my outdated '07-11 one.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

175 views.... 0 replies.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aaron97
175 views.... 0 replies.
That's cause this is an oddity. Pm Mark Dorion on here and I'll try and find the other guys name that is great with the electrical systems of the newer jks

Last edited by stagedtrip; 10-27-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Junkie

darkknight1999 is the other, hit them up, ask em to look over your thread. If I had an 11 I'd open up my sound bar for ya, that's just a hard thing to help diagnose without anyone being there..
Old 10-27-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
That's cause this is an oddity. Pm Mark Dorion on here and I'll try and find the other guys name that is great with the electrical systems of the newer jks
Originally Posted by stagedtrip
darkknight1999 is the other, hit them up, ask em to look over your thread. If I had an 11 I'd open up my sound bar for ya, that's just a hard thing to help diagnose without anyone being there..
Thank you.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me do a little research on this. If you can, email me the info you have currently, like electrical schematics.... My email is john@tacticalinf.com It almost sounds like a clipped or shorted wire... But I need to do some research on this. Chasing electrical gremlins can be tricky.. Which will only be accentuated if it was wrong from the factory. It's also much harder to figure out not being about to test it myself. But I'll have a look... I like a good challenge. Hopefully Mark will have a look at this too.

Last edited by darkknight1999; 10-27-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
Let me do a little research on this. If you can, email me the info you have currently, like electrical schematics.... My email is john@tacticalinf.com It almost sounds like a clipped or shorted wire... But I need to do some research on this. Chasing electrical gremlins can be tricky.. Which will only be accentuated if it was wrong from the factory. It's also much harder to figure out not being about to test it myself. But I'll have a look... I like a good challenge. Hopefully Mark will have a look at this too.
hardest thing ive ever done..... recommend an engineer to help someone hahahahahahah

Quick Reply: Help: Not all of the interior lighting works (dome, window switches, consule).