Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help picking speakers and any other audio adive appreciated

Old 12-21-2016, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rontero
With a little help from other threads and a few private messages with MattK11. I am pretty close to finishing my audio build.

Head Unit: Alpine UTE-52BT - This is already installed. So far its been great. For such a low price, it has all the features we needed, no optical drive, Blue Tooth and iPod support, and proper connections for adding amp and sub. The installation was stupid easy.

Subwoofer: Sundown SD-3 10" D4 or D2 depending on the final amp decision. This will go in a custom fiberglass enclosure thanks to MattK11.

Amplifier(s): PPI Phantom P900.5 - this amp is 70W X 4 into 4Ohms, and 440W X1 into 2Ohms for sub. I want to install in the dash somewhere so this may not work. I just need to get in there and see if I can find room. Anyone have any thoughts? the amp is 11.5"L X 6.5" W X 2" D. Is there a place to fit this under the dash?

Alternate Amp choices: Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 which is 75W X 4 into 4 Ohms and either a Rockford Fosgate PBR500X1 500W X 1 into 1 Ohm or Rockford Fosgate R500X1D 500W X 1 into 2 Ohms.

I am open to suggestions for placement of any amps, what room have you found under the steering wheel or behind the glove box, what about near the kick panels?

Goals with this system are:

1. Stealth, I dont want it to be obvious with the top off that there is anything to steal hence the under seat sub enclosure
2. Reasonably waterproof. Not necessarily waterproof but I dont want the amps in the rear or under seats due to outdoor conditions.

Finally my main question. Doing 6.5" Component set for front and 6.5" coaxial for sound bar. Plan to use existing enclosures in dash and sound bar but improve them with dynamat and polyfill.

What brand/model speakers? Total budget less than $300 preferably closer to $200.

Are the Mopar Kickers worth it for rear?

Leaning toward Polk Audio MM5651UM for Soundbar

The front components have me stumped. I want to avoid that harsh tweeter some speakers have especially with the tweeter so high up and the woofer so far below the dash.

Has anyone tried the Polk Audio DXi6501? Some vedors are calling these teh DB6501 replacements. I am also looking at the Polk DB6502 but not sure if these would be worth the double price difference.

I'm not sold on Polk either, Infinity, Alpine, RF, or anything else.
Been a while since I been on here but u can fit a ppi900.4 under the driver dash for sure. I have that and 2 PBR500X1 vertically on passenger side behind glove box 1 gage wire (250amp fused) distributed to to 4 gage wire to amps. Powering 2 of mattK's boxes with sundown audio 10's and powered to 6501s components in the pods and the sound bar. Crossover will tuck in sound bar, plenty of power on that amp. Check out MM series if u want more. Question hmm sounds like u going down this route.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:13 PM
JK Newbie

With a little help from other threads and a few private messages with MattK11. I am pretty close to finishing my audio build.

Head Unit: Alpine UTE-52BT - This is already installed. So far its been great. For such a low price, it has all the features we needed, no optical drive, Blue Tooth and iPod support, and proper connections for adding amp and sub. The installation was stupid easy.

Subwoofer: Sundown SD-3 10" D4 or D2 depending on the final amp decision. This will go in a custom fiberglass enclosure thanks to MattK11.

Amplifier(s): PPI Phantom P900.5 - this amp is 70W X 4 into 4Ohms, and 440W X1 into 2Ohms for sub. I want to install in the dash somewhere so this may not work. I just need to get in there and see if I can find room. Anyone have any thoughts? the amp is 11.5"L X 6.5" W X 2" D. Is there a place to fit this under the dash?

Alternate Amp choices: Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 which is 75W X 4 into 4 Ohms and either a Rockford Fosgate PBR500X1 500W X 1 into 1 Ohm or Rockford Fosgate R500X1D 500W X 1 into 2 Ohms.

I am open to suggestions for placement of any amps, what room have you found under the steering wheel or behind the glove box, what about near the kick panels?

Goals with this system are:

1. Stealth, I dont want it to be obvious with the top off that there is anything to steal hence the under seat sub enclosure
2. Reasonably waterproof. Not necessarily waterproof but I dont want the amps in the rear or under seats due to outdoor conditions.

Finally my main question. Doing 6.5" Component set for front and 6.5" coaxial for sound bar. Plan to use existing enclosures in dash and sound bar but improve them with dynamat and polyfill.

What brand/model speakers? Total budget less than $300 preferably closer to $200.

Are the Mopar Kickers worth it for rear?

Leaning toward Polk Audio MM5651UM for Soundbar

The front components have me stumped. I want to avoid that harsh tweeter some speakers have especially with the tweeter so high up and the woofer so far below the dash.

Has anyone tried the Polk Audio DXi6501? Some vedors are calling these teh DB6501 replacements. I am also looking at the Polk DB6502 but not sure if these would be worth the double price difference.

I'm not sold on Polk either, Infinity, Alpine, RF, or anything else.
I put an amp and a DSP under the dash on the driver's side, one behind the glove box and another amp in the storage cubby in the trunk, so there are a number of good spots depending on the size of the amps...

Pics of my build: https://postimg.org/gallery/3irh9imye/
Old 12-22-2016, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

depending on what speakers you get for the soundbar i would test with and without polyfill. i did kicker 6.5 two way speakers with the fill and they sounded terrible. took the fill out and much better. The dash speakers are the same too but what i ended up doing with them was to polyfill the enclosures and pop the grommet out of the back essentially porting the enclosure.. i got my best sound from this setup. A RF PBR300X4 amp is on its way to boost the power to them since i do not have a factory amp on my sport.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

I've used Boston Acoustics for years, they're expensive but if and when they blow, almost all their speakers and subwoofers are rebuildable...

They make good amps but Alpine has a better history as far as efficiency ratings.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have polk speakers in mine front and back and also left the factory tweeters hooked up just had to turn the bass down a bit. They sound pretty good and it didn't cost an arm and a leg
Old 12-22-2016, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Polks front, back, and added a 10" Polk sub that i wish I would've bought a 12" for. That is my only regret out of doing the entire system and I still have the factory HU. I can't wait to see what it sounds like when the HU gets upgraded.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

What Hertz Models?
DSK and DSC 165.3 but a few years back so might not be available now. Probably updated. The xover on the DSK's is non adjustable so you can't use that to adjust the tweeter, and the speakers themselves need time to break in. I think they are much better than stock but that might also be the hu change as well. Definitely louder and clearer but you'll always be struggling to get great acoustics in a Wrangler. The whole reason for the change was really driven by the appalling Bluetooth hands free phone quality of the oem equipment. The alpine is miles ahead in this regard.

I think an amp and sub will get me to something better, but marginal gains for good money beyond that.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kicker 40CSS654 6-1/2" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com
Kicker 40CS654 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I have these. They're great for the money. I have had far more expensive Alpine Type-R and Focal 3 way speakers in previous cars that were hundreds of dollars more. I bought these because I know they would fit.

I used polyfill.

As some folks have mentioned you can hide an amp under the steering column. It's a little hard to get to, but it can be done.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default Oem speaker fit

Hi everyone,will the installation of the oem Alpines be identical to the cheaper grade oem's on my 2016 unlimited sound bar?

Quick Reply: Help picking speakers and any other audio adive appreciated