Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help! Possible electrical issue?

Old 01-28-2017, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Engine stall while driving.

3 days ago I was driving (2007 wrangler X auto) when my windshield wipers started going off on their own and a few seconds after, my jeep engine started to stall. Since then my wipers still go off and my engine will start to stall and sometimes completely stall and shut off when driving and at idle. At times when I feel the engine start to stall I can wiggle my steering wheel from left to right and sometimes it will correct the stall. I'm going into the dealership monday to get my clockspring replaced for the 2nd time due to recall. Could this possibly have to do with that?

I can't seem to figure out what the problem could be. Anyone else have and or know someone with this issue? My battery and alternator came back fine. No codes or lights come on during the problem.

Last edited by Climbercarson; 01-28-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad wires or bad battery just because they tell you the battery is good doesn't mean it is if you can swap it out for a known good battery do it and see what happens. Check all the wires both hot and ground for corrosion and loose connections
Old 02-04-2017, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Interesting. I have a 07 JKU Sahara that just started a very similar issue. Just started another thread with more details.

In a nutshell, the wipers start by themselves and run very slowly.

If touch their control knob and switch on and then off trying to turn them off the engine simply dies.

I solve the problem by "rebooting", or disconnecting the battery's positive cable for about 15 seconds. Everything works fine after that.

Some research is indicating a TIPM starting to go bad. I hope not.

Did you have any luck with your Jeep's issue?
Old 02-04-2017, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Sahara, that is literally the exact same thing that is going on with mine. It still does it every once in awhile. I had the clockspring replaced from a recall last week and the problem went away for a few days.

Now it comes on occasionally but I haven't noticed it as much. I still haven't figured it out. After a lot of searching I have read up on TIPM, and it miiiight be that? It's really hard to say. If it is that then it's a somewhat expensive part.

Let me know if you find out a permanent solution at all please! It's just an annoying problem. And I'm not a fan of my jeep engine dieing while I'm driving or sitting at an intersection.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

It's your TIPM most likely. Just replaced mine. List for it through the dealer is $665 and it's 2 hours of labor.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

If that's the TIPM then it makes it a really unreliable piece of garbage. If that thing fails at the wrong time it can cause deaths since the engine simply dies and, hence brakes and steering go down. I was lucky to be on a relatively empty highway and have enough space to pull over to the roadside and stop my Jeep.

Quick Reply: Help! Possible electrical issue?