Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID headlights

Old 04-20-2014, 01:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls
$338 shipped from drivetrain America- Ebay store or directly from them.
Is that with the anti flicker harnesses cause usually it's not.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, but it's the cheapest price for just the lights. I've got a TJ in addition to the JK so I didn't need the harnesses.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by benz
im a little hesitant on doing my own retrofit cuz the last time i tried, it ended horribly. im not really too picky. all im aiming for is more light output and the white color. i was thinking of going with HIDs because they seem like simple plug an play. i like the projectors, they're really cool but wouldnt they look a little "Ricy" on a jeep?

i checked out the kit you suggested and it seems a little inexpensive. i thought the average kit goes for no less than $100. think you can share a link to make sure im actually looking at the right set
Oh they are inexpensive. I got into these guys back when the average budget kit was no less then $200 years back. Friend of mine was going to go with these and considering how cheap they advertised their kits I passed on the offer as I just dismissed them as another ebay knock off type of company. About a year later his were still going strong with no issues so figured I would try it in my girlfriends corolla. Still works!

DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits This is the kit. I got the 4300k (find their 6000k is too blue for my liking), 35w hi/low for the headlights with relay harness. Comes to about $60 before shipping. Don't get just the lows as the Jeeps headlights have the high low on the same bulb and there was someone else on this forum that got a kit from ddm and said it sucked... he also had just the lows so personally I think it was just causing him issues because of that.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Oh they are inexpensive. I got into these guys back when the average budget kit was no less then $200 years back. Friend of mine was going to go with these and considering how cheap they advertised their kits I passed on the offer as I just dismissed them as another ebay knock off type of company. About a year later his were still going strong with no issues so figured I would try it in my girlfriends corolla. Still works! DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits This is the kit. I got the 4300k (find their 6000k is too blue for my liking), 35w hi/low for the headlights with relay harness. Comes to about $60 before shipping. Don't get just the lows as the Jeeps headlights have the high low on the same bulb and there was someone else on this forum that got a kit from ddm and said it sucked... he also had just the lows so personally I think it was just causing him issues because of that.
Not to go against anything you've said, but everything I've had ddm has been nothing but poor quality. Lots of flicker problems in past vehicles that aren't supposed to flicker. A few times it was the bulbs, a few times it was the ballasts. They used very cheap rebased hid bulbs, the quality and placement of the bulbs to the base are not monitored very good. When I ordered a set for my jk one bulbs base was too small and the bulb wouldn't seat. On of the bulbs was about 1-2 degrees off what it could be. This cause stray light everywhere. Ordered another set and everything fit fine but the other bulbs were clearly brighter. This was a 55w kit. Bought 6k bulbs and then 8k bulbs no difference in color. Ordered 5k bulbs and they of course were purple. Just stupid and a waste of time and money. Might as well spend it on a decent product. Ordered a hid kit from TRS, and they had a way better pattern and distance. They also destroyed the ddm in brightness. This was 55w(ddm) and 50w(trs).
Old 05-23-2014, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't tried any other brand, but I got the 55w 6000k hid kit from ddm with the error eliminates. Install was a hassle, mostly just trying to find a spot to mount the ballasts and whatever else goes along with the kit. After I installed it, the lights were actually angled too low, so I angled them upwards and it is very good. The cutoff for the light spread is really clear and you don't blind other drivers if you have them angled right! I passed multiple cars today and even a cop, no flashing me or anything. The problem with the kit is it doesn't stop the hi beam flickering that a lot of people get. A capacitor should fix it though. But I wouldn't recommend any illegal hid conversions, however the stock housings project the light like how projectors would. I also got the white led fogs from them to match the headlights, but they are different shape than stock so be careful when you buy them. Took about 20 days to come in from china

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Does anyone have any other HID kits other then DDM? I really want HIDs and I also want to do it right and not have to buy 10 different kits before one finally works. I just can't afford to do that. But I will spend the money at first to do it right. So if you can please help. And thanks ahead of time
Old 10-28-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by M.Grimm
Does anyone have any other HID kits other then DDM? I really want HIDs and I also want to do it right and not have to buy 10 different kits before one finally works. I just can't afford to do that. But I will spend the money at first to do it right. So if you can please help. And thanks ahead of time
Yea go with retrofit projector HIDs. Either thru hidplanet or theretrofitsource.com. it's the only right way to do true HIDs on these jeeps. And they can't be beat by any other headlight available. Just Google jk retro headlights and you'll get tons of ideas.

Last edited by DunnyBunny; 10-28-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

Alright sweet, thanks DunnyBunny
Old 10-29-2014, 03:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by M.Grimm
Alright sweet, thanks DunnyBunny
If you look at theretrofitsource.com then they have a sealed 7 kit you can get. you can get a setup of everything you need for like $480 I think. That's without any halo and all that. I'll pm you some info.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:30 AM
JK Newbie

I picked up the V3 projectors and H1 kit from DDM last week. I haven't installed it yet as I'm still waiting on epoxy from Amazon. With everything, I'll have the entire kit to include a donor set of OEM housings for right >$200.

The actual projectors look like they're great quality, and testing the solenoid high beam function with a 9V battery is quick and snappy.

I've never had a bad experience with DDM products, and I would happily recommend them to anyone. I'll be posting a DIY/Review once I've completed the project.

Quick Reply: HID headlights