Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

High beams...

Old 08-22-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people probably piss themselves when I return their high beam with an LED flash
Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 PM
JK Junkie

I've got the Truck lights and I've yet to have anyone flash their highs at me

I did make sure that my headlights are aimed to the states specs

Before your getting all happy at flashing people you really should make sure your lows are setup correctly.

I'm on 37's with a 4" lift

Matthew
Old 08-26-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I've got the Truck lights and I've yet to have anyone flash their highs at me

I did make sure that my headlights are aimed to the states specs

Before your getting all happy at flashing people you really should make sure your lows are setup correctly.

I'm on 37's with a 4" lift

Matthew
Mine are pointed down and seems to never help. People always high beam.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jp3792
Mine are pointed down and seems to never help. People always high beam.
With truck lites?

i think there are at least two versions, my set has a pretty wide throw, but the straight ahead throw is pretty refined, it ends with a subtle x where the two beams meet

when I first got them I was expecting high beam flashes simply because they throw a bit wide and very white, but not a single one so far and it's been at least 9+ months

matthew
Old 08-26-2014, 09:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matthewd5

With truck lites?

i think there are at least two versions, my set has a pretty wide throw, but the straight ahead throw is pretty refined, it ends with a subtle x where the two beams meet

when I first got them I was expecting high beam flashes simply because they throw a bit wide and very white, but not a single one so far and it's been at least 9+ months

matthew
Mine are beamer hids. H4 9000s.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just normal 5,300k HIDs in my reflector housing, aimed them down a bit on in the first week and have been running a lifted jeep for the last couple years. Got flashed maybe a handful of times since? I do a lot of highway driving at night as well.

Maybe everyone is used to pickups and taller vehicles and such up here.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer
I have just normal 5,300k HIDs in my reflector housing, aimed them down a bit on in the first week and have been running a lifted jeep for the last couple years. Got flashed maybe a handful of times since? I do a lot of highway driving at night as well. Maybe everyone is used to pickups and taller vehicles and such up here.
HID bulbs in the stock housings isn't a good match. The lens/reflectors are designed for light source's characteristics.

To get the most out of HIDs you need the HID lenses (projectors).

Conversely, halogen bulbs would also be terrible in HID lenses.
Mismatching the source and lens leaves you shortchanged by definition.

Kind of like subscribing to HD digital cable but watching it on an analog tube tv. Or having high speed internet routed into some relic computer....

Last edited by Jiblet; 08-27-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
HID bulbs in the stock housings isn't a good match. The lens/reflectors are designed for light source's characteristics.

To get the most out of HIDs you need the HID lenses (projectors).

Conversely, halogen bulbs would also be terrible in HID lenses.
Mismatching the source and lens leaves you shortchanged by definition.

Kind of like subscribing to HD digital cable but watching it on an analog tube tv. Or having high speed internet routed into some relic computer....
I do agree, I've read all about the benefits and why you shouldn't use them in reflector headlights. I was planning to get retrofit housings soon after putting them in. But once I aligned them to spec (lifted), the light output is great and don't ever get flashed in the city or highway so it's priority has fell down the ladder pretty quick. Been a couple close to 3 years now.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Vladimer

I do agree, I've read all about the benefits and why you shouldn't use them in reflector headlights. I was planning to get retrofit housings soon after putting them in. But once I aligned them to spec (lifted), the light output is great and don't ever get flashed in the city or highway so it's priority has fell down the ladder pretty quick. Been a couple close to 3 years now.
I use 7" star headlights with h4 hid bulbs from beamer. I found the star headlights to be more spot pattern then flood. I am not impressed with gravel driving. Too bad they dont makr covers for headlights id throw on ambers for winter.

Quick Reply: High beams...