Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Horn won't work while driving, but won't go off when I unlock car

Old 02-26-2014, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn won't work while driving, but won't go off when I unlock car

Alright, here's a strange one for everyone....
Last night my JK horn just sounds for no apparent reason when I got out of it while it was running. Finally the horn turns off after a minute of a one long continues beep. I lock the Jeep for the night and head into the house. Today, I go to get in the Jeep, hit the unlock on the key fob and the horn just starts blasting. Won't turn off, even if I start the Jeep... Finally goes off on its own again. I drive to work, try to use the horn normally but it won't work. I disconnect the battery thinking maybe it'll reset and I check the horn fuses, and they are both fine... SO, now I can't lock my Jeep because I don't want the horn to start and I can't get it to stop. Still don't understand why the horn won't work normally. Has anyone come across something like this?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Check for a B2339 code with a good code reader. It indicates a stuck switch after 45 seconds of continuous actuation.
Don't rely on the self-read feature. It will not display all codes.

I remember reading the computer will shut off the power to the horn if it thinks the switch is stuck. I can't find it now to verify it, though.

If that's what it does, it would explain why, once it stops, you can't activate it yourself.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Try taking out the fuse for 30 seconds or so.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default Same Problem

So coincidentally this happened to me this past Tuesday as well. Have you had any success with these suggestions so far or tried reaching out to Jeep directly yet?
Old 02-27-2014, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kstrue2
So coincidentally this happened to me this past Tuesday as well. Have you had any success with these suggestions so far or tried reaching out to Jeep directly yet?
I have not had any luck with the DIY fixes.... I have disconnected the battery, removed the fuses and nothing thus far. Have an appointment setup for Tuesday to hopefully repair it... I hope this does not turn out to be one of those long drawn out repairs like my trans rattle and water leak that still have not been repaired. Just keep piling on the crap... haha
Old 02-27-2014, 02:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Unfortunately, these previously simple systems are now much more complicated.
Your issue could be with the horn button, the clockspring, the instrument cluster, or the TIPM.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

I appreciate the help on this guys. So I am able to drive my truck and actually lock it, I pulled the horn fuses until it goes to the shop on Monday. Once I get it all figured out, I will let everyone know what was going on.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

So what was the resolution for this? Mine is doing the same thing.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spaulman
So what was the resolution for this? Mine is doing the same thing.
I had the same problem. Turned out to be the ground wire located under the hood by the airbox. Had to strip and re-terminate the wires.

Quick Reply: Horn won't work while driving, but won't go off when I unlock car