Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How do I get rid of the airbag light on my dash?

Old 11-22-2014, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I get rid of the airbag light on my dash?

I have been searching the Internet and called Mastercraft, 4X4 parts, and the dealership and still haven't found a solution. Has anyone found a fix for turning off the airbag light? I took the stock seats that are equipped with airbags out of my 2008 JKUR and replaced them with the Mastercraft Baja RS. I replaced the bench seat with my buckets from the front, let me tell you what a difference this has made for comfort in the front and back. I can't believe someone hasn't invented a bypass plug to put on the end of the plugs that are left under the seat. I want my airbags to function properly for the front of the Jeep so removing the fuses isn't an option. If anyone has fixed this problem please share.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Suggest you contact Mastercraft directly. Maybe they've come up with something. But, this may be something that the dealer can program into your Jeep--most of us don't have the side airbags, and we have no light.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the feedback Mark. I did call Mastercraft and the only recommendation was to purchase a bypass, I was told to google bypass and there would be plenty...I'm not finding anything when I search for bypass, except shade tree paper clip stuff. I don't want to disable all my airbags, I need something that tells the system that my seat airbags are still there.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you called a dealership? If you talk to one that is mod friendly you may be able to get them to do it.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

CPT Obvious, I did talk to a local dealership and they didn't have any recommendations. I'm going to try the 3.3 Ohm 1 watt bypass, I read in another post that this tricks the system into thinking it a closed circuit. I will let everyone know if this works.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

I went to another dealership today and of course they had no ideas for me to bypass the seat airbags. I stopped by Radio Shack and picked up a pack of 10.0 Ohm . 1/4 watt carbon film resistors. I think the price was $1.49 for a pack of 5, I had to buy 2 packs because for this mod you need 3 resistors for the drivers side and 3 resistors for the passenger side. I disconnected the Neg on my battery and waited 15-20 minutes for the power to drain. I twisted the three resistors together and pushed one end into the female portion of the airbag connector on the passenger side, then I bent the resistor forming a U shape and pushed the other end into the remaining slot in the airbag connector. I repeated these steps for the drivers side then reconnected the Neg on the battery. I started the Jeep and no more airbag light, I then went back with electrical tape and secured the resistors in place. I then tucked them into a spot under the carpet to keep them from moving around. I have started and driven the Jeep several times tonight, and so far no light has come back on. If anyone is interested in this process or doesn't understand it let me know? I can add pictures of what I did to include my new mastercraft Baja RS front seats and my new back bucket seats which where my original front seats.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:22 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JKCOS
I went to another dealership today and of course they had no ideas for me to bypass the seat airbags. I stopped by Radio Shack and picked up a pack of 10.0 Ohm . 1/4 watt carbon film resistors. I think the price was $1.49 for a pack of 5, I had to buy 2 packs because for this mod you need 3 resistors for the drivers side and 3 resistors for the passenger side. I disconnected the Neg on my battery and waited 15-20 minutes for the power to drain. I twisted the three resistors together and pushed one end into the female portion of the airbag connector on the passenger side, then I bent the resistor forming a U shape and pushed the other end into the remaining slot in the airbag connector. I repeated these steps for the drivers side then reconnected the Neg on the battery. I started the Jeep and no more airbag light, I then went back with electrical tape and secured the resistors in place. I then tucked them into a spot under the carpet to keep them from moving around. I have started and driven the Jeep several times tonight, and so far no light has come back on. If anyone is interested in this process or doesn't understand it let me know? I can add pictures of what I did to include my new mastercraft Baja RS front seats and my new back bucket seats which where my original front seats.
Cool.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Need more information

JKCOS, Has the installation of the resisters continued to work without any down side? Have you discovered any other solution that maybe more of a plug and play? Pictures and a wiring diagram would be very helpful. Thanks
Old 05-15-2015, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default airbag light

Doub,
this has worked out just fine. I recently made a modification by adding male wire connectors to each end of the resistor. This allows me to plug the resistors into the female end of the airbag light connector. I'm currently at work so can't send a picture of what mine looks like, but here are some pictures of the parts used.Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepHarness2.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	610886Click image for larger version

Name:	resistors.jpg
Views:	2355
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	610887Click image for larger version

Name:	male connector.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	610888 Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

This is interesting. I have a 2015 Rubi that did NOT come with the side air bags in the front seats.

However, I removed the front passenger seat to have more storage space (I don't use this to ferry people around!). And now my airbag light is on all the time. Apparently because I've broken the circuit with the weight sensor that is in the passenger seat.

Not sure if your fix will help me as I need to jumper a couple of pins on the now un-used connector (bagged and secured with zip ties) that's attached to the vehicle. This should make the vehicle think everything is still there. But I don't know which pins and I really don't want to buy the entire service manual.

No, I haven't talked to any local dealers yet.

Quick Reply: How do I get rid of the airbag light on my dash?