Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ignition Switch Problem.... I think

Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the earlier post you mentioned pulling and testing the fuses to the left and right of the Horn relay...one of those fuses is for the Autoshutdown circuit...could that have put the jeep in shutdown? Think its M21...
Old 08-19-2015, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bolverk
In the earlier post you mentioned pulling and testing the fuses to the left and right of the Horn relay...one of those fuses is for the Autoshutdown circuit...could that have put the jeep in shutdown? Think its M21...
I don't think so because I just swapped out a good relay to the starter motor relay and had someone turn the key and I still couldn't feel/hear it click. So i'm guessing its somewhere from the key to the relay and what my guess would be is the ignition switch.

So would it make sense to swap out the ignition switch? I already tested the starter solenoid leads from the ignition switch and it wasn't getting any power.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by carloscastaaa
I already tested the starter solenoid leads from the ignition switch and it wasn't getting any power.
Where did you test that? I see no leads going from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

Ignition Switch lead numbers:

1 = ground
2 = ignition switch sense to the Wireless Control Module
3 = ignition switch output to the Wireless Control Module, with a spliced wire going to the TIPM
4 = blank
5 = fused (M27) power from the battery bus
Old 08-19-2015, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Where did you test that? I see no leads going from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

Ignition Switch lead numbers:

1 = ground
2 = ignition switch sense to the Wireless Control Module
3 = ignition switch output to the Wireless Control Module, with a spliced wire going to the TIPM
4 = blank
5 = fused (M27) power from the battery bus
Well i bought a new ignition switch since it was only 30 dollars and well nope still didn't even crank. It only cranks when I bypass it with the screw driver but just never turn on.

I can't think of anything or I don't even know where to look anymore
Old 08-19-2015, 01:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by carloscastaaa
Well i bought a new ignition switch since it was only 30 dollars and well nope still didn't even crank. It only cranks when I bypass it with the screw driver but just never turn on.

I can't think of anything or I don't even know where to look anymore
See if power is getting to the switch over the light blue/red wire, pin 5, at the switch end of the harness. If not, check fuse M27.
Check for any codes with a code reader.
The wireless control module has a lot to do with cranking and starting the engine.
After checking for codes, disconnect the battery negative terminal for a minute to see if that resets the WCM.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
See if power is getting to the switch over the light blue/red wire, pin 5, at the switch end of the harness. If not, check fuse M27.
Check for any codes with a code reader.
The wireless control module has a lot to do with cranking and starting the engine.
After checking for codes, disconnect the battery negative terminal for a minute to see if that resets the WCM.
I tried hooking up my blutooth scan tool to my obd2 port but it wasn't getting any power so it wouldn't connect to the app. I'm not sure if the car has to be on or not but I'm pretty sure it should be able to work with the ignition on on.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Ignition should be on to power the obd2. No power leads me to think blown fuse. You've checked all of them, right?
Old 08-19-2015, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Ignition should be on to power the obd2. No power leads me to think blown fuse. You've checked all of them, right?

I literally just checked all the fuses physically and with a multimeter
Old 08-19-2015, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

So I was messing around more with it and I found out I do get power to the cigarette lighter but not the ODB port Kinda sucks because I can't check what the check engine light code is

*Tomorrow is day 4 not driving the Jeep. What is life
Old 08-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Does the odometer get power? You said all of the lights work and if that's the case then you *may* be able to do the key turn trick to get the codes to pop. You go on and off....3 times, I think it is?

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Problem.... I think