Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ignition Switch Problem.... I think

Old 08-19-2015, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Does the odometer get power? You said all of the lights work and if that's the case then you *may* be able to do the key turn trick to get the codes to pop. You go on and off....3 times, I think it is?
Yeah I just did the key thing on the dash but it didn't give me back a code it just said done
What I also noticed was more frequently now the security light above the temp gauge keeps coming on. Idk maybe that could be a issue.
My battery light stays on as well but I just got that checked out yesterday.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I lost power to my obd2 port once and now I wish I wrote down which fuse it was. If the dash says done then your standard code reader won't pull any additional information. You'd need a jeep specific one like the superchips or the dealer specific reader, once you get power back there.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:08 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I lost power to my obd2 port once and now I wish I wrote down which fuse it was. If the dash says done then your standard code reader won't pull any additional information. You'd need a jeep specific one like the superchips or the dealer specific reader, once you get power back there.
The wiring diagram shows M3 as the power for the OBDII connector, pin 16 in the connector, always hot. I recall there were some posts years ago that indicated that's not the case. One would have to find the hot socket in the connector and pull M3 to see if it goes cold.

Regarding the self diagnostics with the key trick, there are lots of codes that won't show, but will show with a regular code reader.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah so i haven't had any luck unfortunately. I have no other choice but to spend who knows how much money by taking it to the dealer for them to diagnose the problem.

It might just be that I locked my system down since it doesn't wanna turn on. You would think it would turn on when I do the screw driver method on the starter but it only cranked so i'm down to thinking it might be that I put my Jeep on lock down from trying to wire something into the ignition circuit. I just hope it doesn't cost me a arm and a leg
Old 09-16-2016, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

so did you take it to the dealer and what was the outcome. this just happened to me and you did everything i did and nothing. we have the exact same problem.
please advise.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by carloscastaaa
Yeah so i haven't had any luck unfortunately. I have no other choice but to spend who knows how much money by taking it to the dealer for them to diagnose the problem.

It might just be that I locked my system down since it doesn't wanna turn on. You would think it would turn on when I do the screw driver method on the starter but it only cranked so i'm down to thinking it might be that I put my Jeep on lock down from trying to wire something into the ignition circuit. I just hope it doesn't cost me a arm and a leg

Were you able to get this figured out? What did the dealer diagnose? I have the same issues. Please let me know if you can.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Troy Hazard
Were you able to get this figured out? What did the dealer diagnose? I have the same issues. Please let me know if you can.
Woops never came back to update. Still have the Jeep almost 5 years later 😁. But anyways, I ended up having to take it to the dealer because I did everything possible and the last thing in mind was that I accidentally fried the ECU when I was wiring the halos to a fuse. Turns out, I did fry the ECU. Dealer charged me 1 hour of diagnosis and said it’s possibly the ECU but could be something else. I took the risk since I had exhausted all options and it cost I believe around $1,100. All that for trying to wire in some stupid halos around my stock headlights 😂

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Problem.... I think