Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

installing an amp inside of the factory sub enclosure?

Old 11-07-2015, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing an amp inside of the factory sub enclosure?

So I have decided to upgrade my 2012 JKU's infinity system including using one of Matt's under seat subs. I know I can put one amp under the steering wheel (factory amp location)and the other maybe behind the glove box or under one of the seats. I did not really like any of these other spots so I had an idea of maybe using the space inside the existing factory sub enclosure. It seems like you could either cut the face (where existing grill is located) out a little bigger and make a new grill. This would give you access to put the amp or amps in from the front. Or you could keep the front of the enclosure intact and cut out the back of it. Then, mount your amps to the side wall and place the Factory sub enclosure back over them. Just wanted to see if anyone had done something similar or had any thoughts. It would seem to be waterproof, secure, and make use of wasted space (without buying new panels). Thanks.

Last edited by Jefros; 11-07-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the advantage of putting the amp back there instead of in the dash?
Will you be running more wire to that location vs another location?
Will the amp overheat in that enclosure?

If your not going to use the factory sub enclosure for a sub, I wonder what other things it would be good for? Maybe a twist off speaker grill and throw tools and other loose stuff in there?
Old 11-08-2015, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bbrown626
What is the advantage of putting the amp back there instead of in the dash?
Will you be running more wire to that location vs another location?
Will the amp overheat in that enclosure?

If your not going to use the factory sub enclosure for a sub, I wonder what other things it would be good for? Maybe a twist off speaker grill and throw tools and other loose stuff in there?

I was going to put one amp (cabin speakers) in the dash so I was trying to find a good place for the second amp (sub). With a sub under the drivers seat, I think putting the second amp under the passenger seat would be the easiest. However, I might add a second sub under that seat so I was looking at other possibilities. As far as other functions of the factory sub, you have a good idea. You could use the existing grill with velcro instead of screws or maybe fit in a screw out deck plate (access cover) like in a boat? Anyways, I'm leaning with going with just one under seat sub and then I can use the space under the other seat. I'll then maybe modify the factory enclosure for storage or trade with someone with non-sub panels.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you told me you are using Alpine PDX amps is that correct? You can probably put both amps up under your dash. One in the factory location. If you have premium sound there is a bracket the amp attaches to that you can reuse. If you don't have the bracket, PM me, I have one. Then put the other in the opening below your steering wheel like I did here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2255023800.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	502.8 KB
ID:	629610
Old 11-08-2015, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mattk11
I think you told me you are using Alpine PDX amps is that correct? You can probably put both amps up under your dash. One in the factory location. If you have premium sound there is a bracket the amp attaches to that you can reuse. If you don't have the bracket, PM me, I have one. Then put the other in the opening below your steering wheel like I did here:

Attachment 629610
So I'm a little confused. The picture with the amp below the steering wheel, is that not where the factory infinity amp is located? In other words where exactly in the dash would you put both amps. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jefros
So I'm a little confused. The picture with the amp below the steering wheel, is that not where the factory infinity amp is located? In other words where exactly in the dash would you put both amps. Thanks in advance.
No, the factory amp sits on a bracket behind the drivers side speaker pod. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of that.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

I never had a factory amp but ended up putting a ppi900.4 behind the steering wheel if it helps any on size. Plenty of room to move wires little tricky getting your face down there and working on your back but good little project as usual. As for the amp= MONEY! To db6500 in all 4 locations.

http://precisionpower.com/store/prod...m/p600-21.html

Mattk11 I might be interested in one of your nice little boxes mine aren't looking so hot hahaha
Old 11-15-2015, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SullivanM08
I never had a factory amp but ended up putting a ppi900.4 behind the steering wheel if it helps any on size. Plenty of room to move wires little tricky getting your face down there and working on your back but good little project as usual. As for the amp= MONEY! To db6500 in all 4 locations. http://precisionpower.com/store/prod...m/p600-21.html Mattk11 I might be interested in one of your nice little boxes mine aren't looking so hot hahaha
I have one of the passenger side sub enclosures that hasn't been spoken for if you are interested. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: installing an amp inside of the factory sub enclosure?