Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Interior Lights will not go out

Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Lights will not go out

All:

I recently purchased an 09' JKU during the winter. This is the first time I have taken the doors off. When I take the doors off, the interior (front and rear) dome lights stay on. The switch at the blinker is not on. When I start the vehicle, the lights stay on as well. Can anyone help me determine what is wrong, or what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

RippedRubi
Old 04-18-2014, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm.
Check the rear door to make sure its shut.

When the doors are unplugged the jeep is supposed to think the doors are closed and lights should stay off unless rear gate is open.

Try resetting the computer. Take the ground terminal off for 30 min( some suggest touching the ground to the positive after removing the ground from battery but i am hesitant to do that.)

Maybe some others will pipe in and have more ideas
Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think some one has turn it on by the rear light. It is a push on and off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2014, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Earth Siege
Hmm.
Check the rear door to make sure its shut.

When the doors are unplugged the jeep is supposed to think the doors are closed and lights should stay off unless rear gate is open.

Try resetting the computer. Take the ground terminal off for 30 min( some suggest touching the ground to the positive after removing the ground from battery but i am hesitant to do that.)

Maybe some others will pipe in and have more ideas

Thanks for the thought. I will check the back gate.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default Newest update on issue

So I put the doors back on, thinking that maybe it was an issue with the plug ins. Once I put the doors on, and started the engine, both the front and rear interior lights would stay on in a dim mode. I checked the switch at the blinker. When I would turn on the front interior light at the blinker, the front would go bright and the rear would turn off. If I turned the front off at the switch, both the front and rear would turn on dim again. If I turned the rear on by pressing the light, the rear would brighten and the front would turn off. Both would turn on dim, when I turned the rear light off. I unplugged the rear light and now the front works as expected. It turns on bright when the switch is on, turns off when the doors are closed, turns on when the doors are opened.

I just put a PS cage in last week and have been touching up the interior. I made some modifications to the soundbar and to the plastic holding the rear light, but did not make any changes to the wiring.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this?

Thanks for all the help.

Ripped Rubi
Old 04-21-2014, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Possible metal shavings from cage install?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Whitesahara12
Possible metal shavings from cage install?
Good question. Could be a possibility that a shaving could be lying across the terminals in the light. Hopefully, its that simple.

Quick Reply: Interior Lights will not go out