Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Inverted image on back up camera

Old 08-26-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inverted image on back up camera

Good idea causing more trouble than it's worth.

I added a back up camera mounted in the rear bumper. Looks sexy, works great, lots of soldering. I had the brilliant idea of mounting the little monitor on the rear roll bar behind me so I can see it when I look back while reversing. After all, who backs up looking at their dash, right?

WELL HERE IS THE PROBLEM WITH THAT: the image is flipped because it is supposed to be looked at from the front. Everything that's on the right is on the left and vice-versa.

SO.... does anyone know if there is some kind of image inverter out there? I've tried all kinds of Google and have come up with weird results. This back up camera system is all wired (as opposed to the wireless one) so I can intercept the RCA image cable if needed.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

When I added my backup camera, I remember 2 types of cams. One was a normal image, which was for front or side cameras. The other is a reverse or mirror image, which makes the backup camera look like your rear view mirror which is what you want. Most of them are one way or the other, except fir a few that have a jumper to let you change between the 2.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes it's called an aftermarket double din. Lol those separate cams are old school and cheap welcome to 2012
Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by B 1000
Good idea causing more trouble than it's worth.

I added a back up camera mounted in the rear bumper. Looks sexy, works great, lots of soldering. I had the brilliant idea of mounting the little monitor on the rear roll bar behind me so I can see it when I look back while reversing. After all, who backs up looking at their dash, right?

WELL HERE IS THE PROBLEM WITH THAT: the image is flipped because it is supposed to be looked at from the front. Everything that's on the right is on the left and vice-versa.

SO.... does anyone know if there is some kind of image inverter out there? I've tried all kinds of Google and have come up with weird results. This back up camera system is all wired (as opposed to the wireless one) so I can intercept the RCA image cable if needed.
Interesting. I never thought of it being reversed.

It will still work to make sure there isn't anything low in the blind spot, though.

Remount it facing backwards, and look at it through a mirror on the roll bar.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-26-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
..... I remember 2 types of cams. One was a normal image, which was for front or side cameras. The other is a reverse or mirror image, which makes the backup camera look like your rear view mirror which is what you want.....

I'm afraid it's the other way around:
The OP sees a reversed image when looking backwards at the screen (the same direction the camera is looking) -- which means that the camera he got IS reversing the image.
He had to install a non-reversing camera.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

You're totally correct, I just re- read that.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
I'm afraid it's the other way around:
The OP sees a reversed image when looking backwards at the screen (the same direction the camera is looking) -- which means that the camera he got IS reversing the image.
He had to install a non-reversing camera.

Yep that's what I'm getting at. I don't feel comfortable backing into something while looking forward. So since I look behind me while backing, I put the monitor on the rear roll bar.

So what you guys are saying is that the camera is what flips the image and not the monitor? If that's true, I will need something more like a security camera or something that just sends exactly what it sees.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B 1000
Yep that's what I'm getting at. I don't feel comfortable backing into something while looking forward. So since I look behind me while backing, I put the monitor on the rear roll bar.

So what you guys are saying is that the camera is what flips the image and not the monitor? If that's true, I will need something more like a security camera or something that just sends exactly what it sees.
Yes, it's the camera. There're 2 types of cameras, which send either a 'correct' or 'inverted' image.

Another possibility you have, is to keep the camera and replace the screen with one that allows choosing between a correct or reversed image. I'm not sure which way is the least expensive.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am glad to have read this, now i wont make the same mistake....

Quick Reply: Inverted image on back up camera