Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Iphone as gps wont speak

Old 11-20-2016, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a setting in most GPS apps to send audio as if it were a phone call, this lets you listen to any music source and hear alerts and directions from the Nav app
Old 11-20-2016, 07:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
There is a setting in most GPS apps to send audio as if it were a phone call, this lets you listen to any music source and hear alerts and directions from the Nav app
yeah, I found a Bluetooth phone call setting in Google Maps. Still doesn't work in my jeep. Works perfect in my daughters 2008 RAV4, but won't work in my 2012 jeep. I wonder if there was a firmware change in later years. I've read other forum post where people with 2012 can't get the turn by turn thought the jeep stereo. I'm just gonna give up. I can use Apple maps and tell it to use the phone as the speaker. I just need to make sure that the charging cable is not plugged into the uconnect connector in the center console.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In your phone settings go to Maps, then Driving & Navigation. Turn off Pause Spoken Audio.

I drive a variety of JCDR vehicles as well as Chevrolet and Nissan vehicles every day. I listen to podcasts when I drive and in all of the Non-JCDR vehicles the navigation audio works just fine through the car speakers. But in "Ours" the directions would only go mute. Doesn't matter if it's any of the Jeep systems, a nice 8.4 in a Challenger, or a $70k Ram. I finally took the time to screw with my phone settings and that fixed it.

No clue why.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to do that, thanks!
Old 11-23-2016, 05:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by any4xx
In your phone settings go to Maps, then Driving & Navigation. Turn off Pause Spoken Audio. I drive a variety of JCDR vehicles as well as Chevrolet and Nissan vehicles every day. I listen to podcasts when I drive and in all of the Non-JCDR vehicles the navigation audio works just fine through the car speakers. But in "Ours" the directions would only go mute. Doesn't matter if it's any of the Jeep systems, a nice 8.4 in a Challenger, or a $70k Ram. I finally took the time to screw with my phone settings and that fixed it. No clue why.
thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. I guess I'd be fine just letting the sound come from the phone speakers, but I have a 5C and the speakers aren't very loud.

Quick Reply: Iphone as gps wont speak