Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Jeep is dead... Need help!

Old 05-18-2016, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep is dead... Need help!

Threw a new axle in the jeep to replace the bent one in it this past weekend. Went to drive it home today and it was acting kinda funny. Felt like it wasn't going into 5th and the slap shift wasn't working. Done this before and all I had to do was turn it off and start it back up and all was good. So I pulled over and shut it off and started it back up. Engine light came on and when I took off it was stuck in second. Pulled over again, shut off turn on, took off and same thing. Thought I would just baby it home and then maybe a quarter mile it just died. Now it won't start. Cranks but won't fire. Any ideas?! I assume it's an electrical issue but what? Computer? Maybe something stupid? Has oil, tranny fluid, wasn't hot. Don't know what to think. It drove fine yesterday when I went around the block to test drive the new axle. 12 wrangler btw. I was so excited and now I'm so bummed...
Old 05-18-2016, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Any chance that new axle has a different gear ratio than the old one? It sounds like the Jeep went into limp mode, which the 12+ will do if the ratio changes and you don't adjust the computer for it. Would also cause quite an issue when you put it in 4WD too.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check your wheel speed sensor on the axle you changed.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

It was just a housing so I put all of my guts in the new one. Had no issues before except the axle was bent. Last year one of my studs spun out and broke my right rear wheel speed sensor but it never caused any problem like this. I went to dealer and they think it could be crank sensor with how it went to limp mode then just shut off.

Last edited by Crush jk83; 05-19-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would try disconnecting the negative cable to the battery for 10 minutes to reset the computer.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I would try disconnecting the negative cable to the battery for 10 minutes to reset the computer.
already tried that too. I'm getting a scanner on it tomorrow
Old 05-19-2016, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It really does sound like a different axle ratio to me so I'm with jwilson.

Quick Reply: Jeep is dead... Need help!