Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Portable DVD player

Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portable DVD player

I hooked up a portable DVD player for my daughter today and connected to the 12V inlet. I worked fine until I pressed the gas pedal. Then it would cut the power on the DVD player and load the DVD again and start all over. It would play fine at idol, and at highway speeds, but cut power when the rpms fell to about 1000-1300 while driving and I pressed the gas again. Or when I was stopped at a light and pressed the gas again to go.
I recently had a winch and two Hella's wired to the battery. The GPS and iphone charger works fine when plugged in.
Do you think its an electrical problem or is the DVD player a piece of crap?
Regards.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

It sounds like a combination of the power cord adapter and the DVD player. The voltage on the cigarette lighter will fluctuate up and down when you accelerate and decelerate. It's the power cord's adapter's job to regulate that power to a more consistent level. So if the power adapter fluctuates, then the DVD player might not like that and decides to power on and off which isn't a very good thing either, since a good portable DVD player would usually have some kind of voltage regulator built into it.

I would try this. I assume there is a way to plug the DVD player into a household AC outlet. Plug in one of those DC to AC power inverters to the cigarette lighter in your JK and then plug the DVD player into that using the AC cable. See if the problem goes away.

The DC to AC power inverter will have a voltage regulator built into it.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cheers for the reply Rednroll, I'll give that a try.
I'll fill you in on how I make out.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yup problem fixed,
Thanx again.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by tnt008
Yup problem fixed,
Thanx again.
You're welcome. If you don't like to use the inverter, you probably need to look into purchasing a different DC cord adapter.