Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Jeep shut off, battery or alternator problem?

Old 09-20-2014, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep shut off, battery or alternator problem?

Lulling into work today my jeep shut off. All the electrical was off and I coasted into a space. My winch still worked, so I figured the battery had a charge. I went inside and got changed for work, I looked outside and the headlights were back on. I went downstairs, turned the key, the dash lights went on, I tried to start the jeep and everything shut off again. I got a jump pack from work, hooked it up and everything started fine. I put the jeep in a garage bay and let it run for an hour. I checked back later and it started right up.

Recent history: I had a dead battery and replaced it a month ago. Prior to that I had corroded wires to the terminal that I cleaned. I have cube lights and a winch that have been on the jeep for 18 months with no problems. When the battery died the first time my dad had been using the winch for an afternoon to pull shrubs. At the time I assumed he had drained down the battery over the course of the day.

I'm thinking I have a problem with the alternator, has anyone experienced something like this or have suggestions?
Old 09-20-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

What I don't get is, if the battery had enough charge to run the winch and the winch used the same connection as the rest of the jeep, why did one get power and the other didn't? And then when I added a jump pack to the same terminals, it then worked. It doesn't seem to me that some components would work and some wouldn't.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bad connection at the battery terminal, thanks for all the help and suggestions!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10JKUsah
Bad connection at the battery terminal, thanks for all the help and suggestions!
lol! Glad you got it fixed! Sounds like my day haha. Was the connections loose? Or what?

Quick Reply: Jeep shut off, battery or alternator problem?