Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Jeep wont turn off!!! Please help!!!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ob269
Disconnecting the battery just means your alternator is working properly..
If the OP's JK kept running even after disconnecting the battery, then yes, his alternator was supplying power to run everything.
But normally on the JK...
Voltage is monitored at the B+ terminal stud to insure it is connected. If the B+ cable is loose, the PCM will shut down generator field.
It has been shown in past threads the JK engine will not continue to run when the battery is disconnected.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ob269
Disconnecting the battery just means your alternator is working properly.. If I had to guess(which that's all this is lol) I would say its because your ignition got wet and doesn't know you took your key out.. Does it start fine?
No it's a common thing if the tipm issue. Mine has done the same thing a couple of times. Jeep freaked the hell out and turned off removed key and everything kept running and freaking out. Put key back in and turned it over like I was starting it and everything went back to normal finally.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I think of it, once in awhile it will do 2 things ... 1) throw a long start, maybe 5-10 seconds, ultimately starting. Or 2) make a click like the battery is dead or starter is shot, then on the 2nd try will turn right over (battery was replaced a year ago)
Old 08-15-2014, 12:08 AM
JK Newbie

But to answer the question yes during this entire ordeal it consistently started fine.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If the OP's JK kept running even after disconnecting the battery, then yes, his alternator was supplying power to run everything. But normally on the JK... Voltage is monitored at the B+ terminal stud to insure it is connected. If the B+ cable is loose, the PCM will shut down generator field. It has been shown in past threads the JK engine will not continue to run when the battery is disconnected.
Well that's good to know!
Old 08-17-2014, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
There is no recall. There were tipm issues in 2007 and 2008 models but there was no recall on them. If there is please post the link or copy of the recall notice.
You are correct the notice was for a software update..

Quick Reply: Jeep wont turn off!!! Please help!!!