Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Jk lights

Old 01-31-2015, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jk lights

I just bought a used 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sport. The person I bought it from had put some Westin off road lights. The problem is they said the lights won't turn on because they aren't wired correctly. She said I needed a switch. I know nothing about offroad lights and am very new to Jeeps. In the glovebox I found a switch but it wasn't connected to anything. It looks like they are wired into the Jeep but I have no idea where at inside. If someone could help I'd really appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep lights.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	594601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep lights 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	594603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep lights 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	594604  
Old 01-31-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

Yikes, I hate dealing with electrical. Follow the wire from the back of the lights into the cab. Don't be afraid to pop of the panels in and around the dash, they are just plastic clips that snap right back on. You'll probably find a red wire leading to the battery, and a black or white wire leading to a ground. Theeeeen another couple of wires that need a switch tied to them. Good luck buddy, it's hard to say without being there.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is how they should be wired using a relay. They may be negative switched or positive switched. Trace the wires and see what's missing.

Name:	SPST Relay (+switched).jpg
Views:	9691
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	594698   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPST Relay (-switched).jpg
Views:	2302
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	594699  
Old 02-01-2015, 11:07 AM
iox
JK Newbie

If you're not comfortable configuring a relay to power your lights, you can also purchase a relay harness that's pre-wired at your local auto parts (they even sell some with a wireless switch, but those cost more). I'm sure a local stereo/alarm shop would also charge you a decently fair price to wire them up for you. Even the right buddy would probably do it for a single
Old 02-01-2015, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by iox
Even the right buddy would probably do it for a single
Nope. Six beer minimum.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by zackjk
I just bought a used 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sport. The person I bought it from had put some Westin off road lights. The problem is they said the lights won't turn on because they aren't wired correctly. She said I needed a switch. I know nothing about offroad lights and am very new to Jeeps. In the glovebox I found a switch but it wasn't connected to anything. It looks like they are wired into the Jeep but I have no idea where at inside. If someone could help I'd really appreciate it.
It's also possible they were wired without a relay. If that's the case, the schematic would be more like this.

Name:	No Relay Accessory Wiring.jpg
Views:	7608
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	594829  
Old 02-02-2015, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If u plan on adding more lights u should look into getting a sPOD.

Quick Reply: Jk lights