Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JK TIPM Problem Solved!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default JK TIPM Problem Solved!

Ok, so my dealer said that my tipm was bad. My symptoms were as follows. Wiper washer (front only) would not work. Rear was fine. Passenger front power window worked when it wanted to. All others were fine. Door locks would unlock with remote none would lock. Turn signals would not flash 3 times when tapping (for passing). Dealer said your warranty does not cover electrical. I asked "how much for the install and tipm?" They wanted to do it at their cost(so they said) at $700.00. After a temper tantrum that only a seasoned 41 year old could throw they stuck to their price. I called a friend that is a service manager for a local dodge dealership here in Michigan. (Thank-You Jody F). I was able to purchase my new tipm for $250.00 and he delivered it to my door. The other dealer said there was 2 to 3 hours labor included in the price. Today a friend...(Thank-You Jacob your the Man!) helped me remove and replace my tipm. It only took about 15 minutes! Really!
Tools needed.
1) 13mm socket with a ratchet.
1) 10mm wrench.
1) Small tip flathead screwdriver.
1) Watch with a second hand or a stopwatch.
1) Extra pair of hands....Mine were connected to my friend and coworker Jacob.
#1. Remove the negative battery cable.
#2. Remove the cap of the tipm.
#3. Remove the lead to the tipm.(small nut )
#4. Remove tipm pop in clips on top that secure tipm to the jeep.
#5. Carefully unplug all of the connections on the bottom of the tipm.(These have gray rotating clips that attached to the plug).They are all color coded/idiot proof to reinstall. There is a small black release in the center push them in with the screw driver then rotate the gray clip downward to release.
#6. Remove the old tipm.
***It helps so much to have one person stand in front of the jeep holding and rotating the tipm and one on the passenger side removing and installing the plugs.***

To replace the tipm do this in reverse order.
VERY IMPORTANT!!!! STARTING INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!
Place your ignition key into the ignition.
Turn the key to the on position for 12 seconds.( I used a stop watch)
Then turn the key to the off position.
Then start your jeep as normal and check all of your functions to ensure normal operation.
Thanks to the help from all of you and some help from my friend mine works fine.
Im sure there are photos and maybe a link to a video of an install.
I am not a repair tech. I cant type that great but I hope this will help someone solve their tipm problems. Thanks again to everyone. JEEP ON!
The following 6 users liked this post by 2007saharaunlimited:
brokemaillady (11-15-2023), EarlD (11-17-2023), jdinny (03-09-2019), Julian Gonzalez (12-30-2020), LEVMAN (07-15-2023), MikeInMiami (08-14-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm it is a factory recall for all 2007-2008. It would be free if you took it to any jeep dealership :/, doesn't matter if you are the 1st owner or 100th.... Hopefully yours wasn't those years...if so that sucks...lol but at least you got it fixed! Jeep on buddy!!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Tizzyusmc
Umm it is a factory recall for all 2007-2008. It would be free if you took it to any jeep dealership :/, doesn't matter if you are the 1st owner or 100th.... Hopefully yours wasn't those years...if so that sucks...lol but at least you got it fixed! Jeep on buddy!!
What's the recall Number? I have not heard of one for the TIPM, other than maybe a flash.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there was no programming required?? When you ordered the TIPM was it specifically ordered for your VIN ?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by dmhines
So there was no programming required?? When you ordered the TIPM was it specifically ordered for your VIN ?
The required programming happens automatically when the proper steps are followed.

Here are the steps from the service manual:

CAUTION: The original Cab Compartment Node (CCN) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) must be installed and functioning properly prior to powering up the new Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). The TIPM receives vehicle configuration data from the CCN and Vehicle Identification Number information from the PCM. If configuration information becomes lost or corrupted, the data can be obtained from DealerCONNECT

Insert the ignition key and turn it to the “RUN” position and wait twelve seconds. The TIPM will collect the necessary vehicle configuration and VIN data from the CCN and PCM at this time. After twelve seconds turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position and then back to the “ON” position and verify proper vehicle systems operation.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-05-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default dealer does not have a tipm recall

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What's the recall Number? I have not heard of one for the TIPM, other than maybe a flash.
There is no recall that will replace the tipm. They wanted 700 dollars. Trust me my friend at the other dealership would have hooked me up for free if a recall was in fact active but there are no active recalls other than the g40 or whatever for the flash.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dmhines
My friend who is the service manager did use my vin to order my tipm. If you need to get one I would suggest getting one from a dealership using your vin. This is such a touchy piece of electronic equipment so I would not trust a used one. Mine has a build date sticker of the end of last year so hopefully jeep has fixed the issues with them. Jeep on!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Default question for you.

Originally Posted by Tizzyusmc
Hello marine..... I looked at your profile and saw that you have an x. Have you had tipm issues and if so what are they?Is there an active recall in California? Jeep doing a state by state recall might prevent the multi million dollar hit they will take replacing say thousands of tipms and thus causing another need for a bailout! Just sayin.....it's a jeep thing if they build them we shall buy them.....jeep on!

Last edited by 2007saharaunlimited; 03-06-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 2007saharaunlimited
There is no recall that will replace the tipm. They wanted 700 dollars. Trust me my friend at the other dealership would have hooked me up for free if a recall was in fact active but there are no active recalls other than the g40 or whatever for the flash.
I know there is no recall on the TIPM.
Tizzyusmc seems to think there is, so I was wanting to see what he had for information.

Used TIPMs are available for a wide variety of prices. I don't think anyone has tried to install a used one yet.
I don't think they are VIN specific, but they are model year specific.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for this very valuable information! I get a random electrical gremlin (failed keyless entry, pass window failure, etc.) once every 5-6 months. My current routine has been to disconnect the battery the same day the gremlin pops up and I don't see it again for months. I have a new TIPM waiting to go in, but I have never had it installed because a) the problems were never troublesome enough to cause me worry; and b) I assumed it would require a dealer installation and programming. Now that I know it will be a free and quick installation, I'll just install the new unit next time a gremlin shows up. So again, thanks!

Quick Reply: JK TIPM Problem Solved!