Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JK TIPM Problem Solved!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to know. I had extended cranking on my 2012 and the dealer replaced 3 key modules a tipm and a PCM to later find out it was a ground wire. Which in all still isn't the problem cause its still doing it.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2008 unlimited and have been having jeep problems with the TIPM for about 5 months now. It has progressively has been getting worse. It used to just act crazy when I would first get into the jeep, both windshield wipers plus fluid, lights, horn and locks. When I bang on the TIPM box it stops so I know its the problem. The jeep is now doing it while I am driving. Would be nice to have a recall on this considering its a common problem. I have the lifetime powertrain warranty but of course this won't be covered.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by kashlak
I have a 2008 unlimited and have been having jeep problems with the TIPM for about 5 months now. It has progressively has been getting worse. It used to just act crazy when I would first get into the jeep, both windshield wipers plus fluid, lights, horn and locks. When I bang on the TIPM box it stops so I know its the problem. The jeep is now doing it while I am driving. Would be nice to have a recall on this considering its a common problem. I have the lifetime powertrain warranty but of course this won't be covered.
Fixing by banging on it usually means a loose connection somewhere.
Try the battery wire at the TIPM lug. Disconnect the battery negative terminal. Remove the wire from the TIPM lug. Clean it with a wire brush. Hook it back up and reconnect the battery negative terminal. See if that makes a difference.
If it doesn't, disconnect the battery negative terminal, and raise the TIPM out of its cradle. Disconnect and reconnect each plug. If there is a contact problem, this will usually establish a new connection.

The last resort is to replace the TIPM.
The following users liked this post:
brokemaillady (11-15-2023)
Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Fixing by banging on it usually means a loose connection somewhere.
Try the battery wire at the TIPM lug. Disconnect the battery negative terminal. Remove the wire from the TIPM lug. Clean it with a wire brush. Hook it back up and reconnect the battery negative terminal. See if that makes a difference.
If it doesn't, disconnect the battery negative terminal, and raise the TIPM out of its cradle. Disconnect and reconnect each plug. If there is a contact problem, this will usually establish a new connection.

The last resort is to replace the TIPM.
Thanks I will try this first.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2007saharaunlimited
Ok, so my dealer said that my tipm was bad. My symptoms were as follows. Wiper washer (front only) would not work. Rear was fine. Passenger front power window worked when it wanted to. All others were fine. Door locks would unlock with remote none would lock. Turn signals would not flash 3 times when tapping (for passing). Dealer said your warranty does not cover electrical. I asked "how much for the install and tipm?" They wanted to do it at their cost(so they said) at $700.00. After a temper tantrum that only a seasoned 41 year old could throw they stuck to their price. I called a friend that is a service manager for a local dodge dealership here in Michigan. (Thank-You Jody F). I was able to purchase my new tipm for $250.00 and he delivered it to my door. The other dealer said there was 2 to 3 hours labor included in the price. Today a friend...(Thank-You Jacob your the Man!) helped me remove and replace my tipm. It only took about 15 minutes! Really!
Tools needed.
1) 13mm socket with a ratchet.
1) 10mm wrench.
1) Small tip flathead screwdriver.
1) Watch with a second hand or a stopwatch.
1) Extra pair of hands....Mine were connected to my friend and coworker Jacob.
#1. Remove the negative battery cable.
#2. Remove the cap of the tipm.
#3. Remove the lead to the tipm.(small nut )
#4. Remove tipm pop in clips on top that secure tipm to the jeep.
#5. Carefully unplug all of the connections on the bottom of the tipm.(These have gray rotating clips that attached to the plug).They are all color coded/idiot proof to reinstall. There is a small black release in the center push them in with the screw driver then rotate the gray clip downward to release.
#6. Remove the old tipm.
***It helps so much to have one person stand in front of the jeep holding and rotating the tipm and one on the passenger side removing and installing the plugs.***

To replace the tipm do this in reverse order.
VERY IMPORTANT!!!! STARTING INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!
Place your ignition key into the ignition.
Turn the key to the on position for 12 seconds.( I used a stop watch)
Then turn the key to the off position.
Then start your jeep as normal and check all of your functions to ensure normal operation.
Thanks to the help from all of you and some help from my friend mine works fine.
Im sure there are photos and maybe a link to a video of an install.
I am not a repair tech. I cant type that great but I hope this will help someone solve their tipm problems. Thanks again to everyone. JEEP ON!
Curious, you are a 2007, what warranty would you have, the Chrysler extended? I purchased an 8/80 Chrysler extended for my 2010 sport and I was assured that electrical componants are covered, even shocks, but not things like soft tops.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Both mine and my wife's 08's are having problems. Her's is a starting problem while mine is an intermittent drivers side window failure. Thanks for the great information. I will try checking the connections to the TIPM and see how it goes.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have intermittent provlems on my 2012 sahara. ..build date of 12/7/11. All dash lights light up, speedometer drops to zero and back up to speed, radio lights go off but still play and radio plays through front speakers until radio is shut off amd turned on. No issues with horn, wipers or airbag light...

Is it the TIPM?
Check connections first since it only happens every couple of weeks?

COULD DAMAGE BE CAUSED IF NOT REPLACED?????

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!

I just replaced my TIPM and saved a lot of money. Dealership wanted $795 to swap it.

I ordered it off the interweb for 438 total.

Get this, when the dealership did the diagnostic, they broke some of those levers for the connectors. I'll be calling them tomorrow morning.
The following users liked this post:
duutuan (08-30-2021)
Old 04-28-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer looked at me like I was stupid when I asked if they had seen any TIPM issues. Told them what the symptoms were and of course all they wanted was money so only info they would give is I really needed to have it diagnosed.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Arctic Blue
I have intermittent provlems on my 2012 sahara. ..build date of 12/7/11. All dash lights light up, speedometer drops to zero and back up to speed, radio lights go off but still play and radio plays through front speakers until radio is shut off amd turned on. No issues with horn, wipers or airbag light...

Is it the TIPM?
Check connections first since it only happens every couple of weeks?

COULD DAMAGE BE CAUSED IF NOT REPLACED?????

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Your symptoms are very similar to mine when battery failed. Get your battery load tested - the 2012's have a lot of dead batteries (like mine at 5000 miles). Check the battery connections as well.

Quick Reply: JK TIPM Problem Solved!