Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JK TIPM Problem Solved!

Old 05-04-2014, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new tipm from Wholesale Mopar Parts.com had to return the old one cost me a couple hundred bucks easy to change out. Just follow the instructions online how to connect it's just a little key dance can't recall exactly what it was.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a weird electrical issue today. Turn the key on and the wipers come on / stay on, nothing else to the left of the radio works (dash lights, odometer, speedo, turn signals, lights, horn ect)
Disconnected the + battery cable, reconnected and back to normal. Is this a TIPM issue?
Old 09-10-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I had a weird electrical issue today. Turn the key on and the wipers come on / stay on, nothing else to the left of the radio works (dash lights, odometer, speedo, turn signals, lights, horn ect) Disconnected the + battery cable, reconnected and back to normal. Is this a TIPM issue?
Mine does this. Except horn starts going crazy also and sometimes the door locks. If I open the hood and hit the top of the TIPM everything starts working fine. Tells me TIPM is faulty.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Mine does this. Except horn starts going crazy also and sometimes the door locks. If I open the hood and hit the top of the TIPM everything starts working fine. Tells me TIPM is faulty.
I'll try that nest time. How often does yours mess up?
After hooking up the battery terminal and everything working, I went back out and same thing
Old 06-18-2015, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default possible timp problems.

so i have two problems with my 07 wrangler rubicon and im not sure but i think replacing the timp would clear both and would like a second opinion.

first problem- my left fog light does not work with a bulb in the socket. i am getting 12V without the bulb in but when i put the bulb in there is nothing.

second problem- my horn doesnt want to work from the steering wheel, i had the clockspring replaced a while back but never knoticed that the horn didnt work till about a month ago. so idk if the dealership messed up and didnt connect some wires or if it is another bad clockspring which i assume that i would be getting a code if the clockspring was bad again.

if someone could shed some light on the subject i would appreciate it.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

When you say "when i put the bulb in there is nothing", do you mean the bulb doesn't light up? Or do you mean it doesn't light up and there is no longer 12 volts present?

Assuming the horn works at other times, such as when using the fob to lock/unlock the doors, you might want to troubleshoot the horn's membrane switch circuit.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
When you say "when i put the bulb in there is nothing", do you mean the bulb doesn't light up? Or do you mean it doesn't light up and there is no longer 12 volts present?

Assuming the horn works at other times, such as when using the fob to lock/unlock the doors, you might want to troubleshoot the horn's membrane switch circuit.
Yes when the bulb is in there is no light and there is not 12V anymore. And also yes to my horn working everywhere else just not when I push it at the steering wheel.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been working on some problems on my Jk and I thought I would share my experiances to help others. Here are my symptoms, Headlight sometims works sometimes dont, Cruise control didn't work intermitently, Horn worked intermitently, Dors dont lock. So far I have repaired everything except the doors locking. The wireing in our jeeps is really bad. the connectons are poor quality and resistance will build in hi load items like headlights. I solved my problem by flowing solder at the plug end at the connector. Headlights work reliably now. It was not a TIPM problem. Next up was cruise control and horn. I thought maybe it was the cruise control button or the clock spring. Being that the button was about $20 I tried that first. Now I should no better than to throw parts at a problem. but it was $20. shoot. I knew my clock spring was acting up as I would get the spinning out of control light if my wheels were truned when I parked and I started the Jeep. I didn't want to spend the $ for the clock spring but I did. Still no Horn or cruise control. Well our Next thought would be the TIPM. But lets stop there. I broke out my ohm meter and started checking the horn/ cruise control wire behind the air bag. Guess what. Broken wires under the insulation causing intermitent operation in both. remembering the crappy connection at the headlights I suspected as much. Now not wanting to spend $55 for a wire that is less than 6"part #680003477AA, I broke out my soldering iron again, Took apart the wireing harness and replaced every single wire ( there are only 5, 2 for horn, 3 for cruise control) The origional wires are so brittle they brake if you look at them under the insulation. I know, I did some tests. Rebuilt wire worked, I now have horn and cruise control. Something I have not had since it was new.
Now for the last problem the locking circuit. It unlocks fine, I can hear the relay clicking for lock. It locks when it is cold. So most would think a bad wire or connection. Except I just spent 3 hours studying the wireing diagram last night. The lock cylinder is the same circuit for lock and unlock. all 5 of my doors behave the same and according to the diagram all 5 doors have their own pin connection to the TIPM they dont splice in somewhere. It is a problem with the TIPM, I suspect the locking relay is faulty and is out of tolerance when hot as it expands, and when it cools it makes connection again. this relay is inside the TIPM, and according to the service manual is not serviceable. Rather than spend $400 on a new TIPM, I will be getting in there and find out which relay it is and replace it on the board. Remeber the old days when a relay went bad you just bought a new one for 5 bucks. those days are gone.

So if you have horn or cruise control problems, Test your wire, If you have lighting problems, Test your connection and flow some solder, Other freaky things, Look into the TIPM. I hate the idea of the TIPM and how it is not serviceable and there is no schematic available for it for self repair.

Ill post my progress. Ill take apart my TIPM this weekend.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by gpwpat
I will be getting in there and find out which relay it is and replace it on the board. Remeber the old days when a relay went bad you just bought a new one for 5 bucks. those days are gone.

So if you have horn or cruise control problems, Test your wire, If you have lighting problems, Test your connection and flow some solder, Other freaky things, Look into the TIPM. I hate the idea of the TIPM and how it is not serviceable and there is no schematic available for it for self repair.

Ill post my progress. Ill take apart my TIPM this weekend.
See this thread if you haven't already: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-174919/

If you can positively identify the individual door lock relays, please post your findings. I'd like to add the info to my TIPM thread.

Here is a picture from that thread:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RelayIDs.jpg
Views:	85542
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	615660  
Old 12-14-2015, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Default Fuel Pump Relay

There is a cable you can buy for the tipm fuel pump relay. It works, I've been using one for a year.

Quick Reply: JK TIPM Problem Solved!