Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JK TIPM Problem Solved!

Old 12-17-2015, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you!
Old 03-01-2016, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default TIPM - Replacement

Hi all,

My 09 X has been having some interior light issues. The lights around the AC controls, Gear shift, and dome light are not working. The ESP and Hazards switch are not working either. My mechanic mentioned that it appears to be the TIPM that is failing. I am going to order one online for about $300 and install it myself using the directions provided. Question - does the TIPM come with the fuses and relays or do I take the fusess and relays from the old TIPM and install them in the new?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2016, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tuc8458
Hi all,

My 09 X has been having some interior light issues. The lights around the AC controls, Gear shift, and dome light are not working. The ESP and Hazards switch are not working either. My mechanic mentioned that it appears to be the TIPM that is failing. I am going to order one online for about $300 and install it myself using the directions provided. Question - does the TIPM come with the fuses and relays or do I take the fusess and relays from the old TIPM and install them in the new?

Thanks!
I bought and installed a new TIPM from factorymoparparts.net. While I have an appointment with the dealer to install it this weekend, since I found these instructions, thought I'd give it a go. The TIPM when you buy it comes with the fuses and relays, I paid an additional deposit of $125 (same as in other sites), which will be credited back to me when I return the core (my old TIPM). It didn't take as long as I thought and I was actually able to do it without any help.

I was having issues with my radio, windshield wipers, and stalling. It got progressively worse with the interior lights not working. I thought replacing the TIPM would be it, but unfortunately it wasn't. The second time I tried starting my Jeep (I drive a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2-door), it didn't start. I had to bang on the TIPM to get it to started, which tells me that it is the to the TIPM.

Has anyone ever replaced wiring to the TIPM? It looked ok, but I think it also may be an issue with the battery (my battery is low - but don't want to spend the money to get new, since I already bought 2-Odyssey batterys). I am waiting for the Genesis JK Dual-Battery to come in stock and looking to install myself.

So, should I still try and replace the TIPM wiring or just try and see if the new battery will fix this?
Old 05-06-2016, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2007saharaunlimited
Ok, so my dealer said that my tipm was bad. My symptoms were as follows. Wiper washer (front only) would not work. Rear was fine. Passenger front power window worked when it wanted to. All others were fine. Door locks would unlock with remote none would lock. Turn signals would not flash 3 times when tapping (for passing). Dealer said your warranty does not cover electrical. I asked "how much for the install and tipm?" They wanted to do it at their cost(so they said) at $700.00. After a temper tantrum that only a seasoned 41 year old could throw they stuck to their price. I called a friend that is a service manager for a local dodge dealership here in Michigan. (Thank-You Jody F). I was able to purchase my new tipm for $250.00 and he delivered it to my door. The other dealer said there was 2 to 3 hours labor included in the price. Today a friend...(Thank-You Jacob your the Man!) helped me remove and replace my tipm. It only took about 15 minutes! Really!
Tools needed.
1) 13mm socket with a ratchet.
1) 10mm wrench.
1) Small tip flathead screwdriver.
1) Watch with a second hand or a stopwatch.
1) Extra pair of hands....Mine were connected to my friend and coworker Jacob.
#1. Remove the negative battery cable.
#2. Remove the cap of the tipm.
#3. Remove the lead to the tipm.(small nut )
#4. Remove tipm pop in clips on top that secure tipm to the jeep.
#5. Carefully unplug all of the connections on the bottom of the tipm.(These have gray rotating clips that attached to the plug).They are all color coded/idiot proof to reinstall. There is a small black release in the center push them in with the screw driver then rotate the gray clip downward to release.
#6. Remove the old tipm.
***It helps so much to have one person stand in front of the jeep holding and rotating the tipm and one on the passenger side removing and installing the plugs.***

To replace the tipm do this in reverse order.
VERY IMPORTANT!!!! STARTING INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!
Place your ignition key into the ignition.
Turn the key to the on position for 12 seconds.( I used a stop watch)
Then turn the key to the off position.
Then start your jeep as normal and check all of your functions to ensure normal operation.
Thanks to the help from all of you and some help from my friend mine works fine.
Im sure there are photos and maybe a link to a video of an install.
I am not a repair tech. I cant type that great but I hope this will help someone solve their tipm problems. Thanks again to everyone. JEEP ON!

Thank to this write up the problem in my 2008 JK has been solved. I order the part from OEM Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, and RAM parts online from Mopar Parts Overstock, received it quite fast then i replaced it by following the instructions and so far so GOOD!!

Thank you!
Old 10-19-2016, 09:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool TIPM Successful install

Just wanted to add a little more info on this thread
I just bought a new TIPM and programed it using the method above by RJ
I had a few issues though and her's how I worked through them which was very easy.

Heres where I started.
1# Bought brand new TIPM from mopar parts specifically for my VIN. Do not by the refurb. Im told these do not work on this method.

#2 I removed my diablo performance tune and returned it to factory. It must be returned to stock to do this and also to retain your licence for your performance tuner.

Now I did what RJ suggested
#5. Carefully unplug all of the connections on the bottom of the tipm.(These have gray rotating clips that attached to the plug).They are all color coded/idiot proof to reinstall. There is a small black release in the center push them in with the screw driver then rotate the gray clip downward to release.
#6. Remove the old tipm.
***It helps so much to have one person stand in front of the jeep holding and rotating the tipm and one on the passenger side removing and installing the plugs.***

Then start your jeep as normal and check all of your functions to ensure normal operation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO HERE IS WHERE I WAS DIFFERENT. I USED A STOPWATCH AND TURNED KEY ON FOR 12 SEC THEN SHUT IT OFF AND IT STARTED BUT MANY ICONS WHERE ON SUCH AS AIRBAGS/ESP/FUEL/SWAY BAR.

SO I REMOVED BATTERY TERMINALS AND THEN TOUCHED THEM TOGETHER WITHOUT THE BATTERY TO MAKE SURE THERE WAS NO RESIDUAL CHARGE ON ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

NEXT I DID THE PROGRAM AGAIN (YES YOU GET AS MANY CHANCES AS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RIGHT.

THIS TIME I WATCHED THE ICONS DISAPPEAR DURING THE 12 SECS AND WENT TO 14SECS

THEN I STARTED IT AGAIN AND 1 ICON WAS LEFT AND WOULD NOT GO AWAY
IT WAS THE SWAY BAR.

NOW AGAIN
I REMOVED BATTERY TERMINALS AND THEN TOUCHED THEM TOGETHER WITHOUT BATTERY TO MAKE SURE THERE WAS NO RESIDUAL CHARGE ON ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

NEXT I DID THE PROGRAM AGAIN ---3RD TIME

THIS TIME I WATCH EVERY ICON DISAPPEAR AND TOOK IT TO 15 SECS
AND WHEN I STARTED IT, NO CAUTION ICONS WHERE ILLUMINATED ANYMORE
IT IS NOW A PERFECT INSTALL AND RUNNING GREAT THANKS RJ

ALSO THIS WHOLE PROCESS TOOK ONLY ABOUT 20 MIN TO INSTALL AND PROGRAM THE TIPM

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE AT ALL LEVELS --- EASY AND THERE IS NO REASON TO GET RIPPED OFF FROM THE DEALER FOR INSTALLING THIS WHICH SCOTTSDALE ARIZONA CHAPMAN JEEP DEALER WHICH WANTED $900 FOR PART AND INSTALL. THEY ARE LESS THAN DESIRABLE TO DEAL WITH AND WAY OVERPRICED.
SO TRY THIS YOURSELF AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY YOU DID.
The following 2 users liked this post by jetpilot39:
drrags (09-25-2018), jdinny (03-09-2019)
Old 11-10-2016, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default Airbag Light won't go out after repeated reprograms

Originally Posted by jetpilot39
Just wanted to add a little more info on this thread
I just bought a new TIPM and programed it using the method above by RJ
I had a few issues though and her's how I worked through them which was very easy.

Heres where I started.
1# Bought brand new TIPM from mopar parts specifically for my VIN. Do not by the refurb. Im told these do not work on this method.

#2 I removed my diablo performance tune and returned it to factory. It must be returned to stock to do this and also to retain your licence for your performance tuner.

Now I did what RJ suggested
#6. Remove the old tipm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO HERE IS WHERE I WAS DIFFERENT. I USED A STOPWATCH AND TURNED KEY ON FOR 12 SEC THEN SHUT IT OFF AND IT STARTED BUT MANY ICONS WHERE ON SUCH AS AIRBAGS/ESP/FUEL/SWAY BAR.

SO I REMOVED BATTERY TERMINALS AND THEN TOUCHED THEM TOGETHER WITHOUT THE BATTERY TO MAKE SURE THERE WAS NO RESIDUAL CHARGE ON ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

NEXT I DID THE PROGRAM AGAIN (YES YOU GET AS MANY CHANCES AS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RIGHT.

THIS TIME I WATCHED THE ICONS DISAPPEAR DURING THE 12 SECS AND WENT TO 14SECS

THEN I STARTED IT AGAIN AND 1 ICON WAS LEFT AND WOULD NOT GO AWAY
IT WAS THE SWAY BAR.

NOW AGAIN
I REMOVED BATTERY TERMINALS AND THEN TOUCHED THEM TOGETHER WITHOUT BATTERY TO MAKE SURE THERE WAS NO RESIDUAL CHARGE ON ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

NEXT I DID THE PROGRAM AGAIN ---3RD TIME

THIS TIME I WATCH EVERY ICON DISAPPEAR AND TOOK IT TO 15 SECS
AND WHEN I STARTED IT, NO CAUTION ICONS WHERE ILLUMINATED ANYMORE
IT IS NOW A PERFECT INSTALL AND RUNNING GREAT THANKS RJ

ALSO THIS WHOLE PROCESS TOOK ONLY ABOUT 20 MIN TO INSTALL AND PROGRAM THE TIPM

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE AT ALL LEVELS --- EASY AND THERE IS NO REASON TO GET RIPPED OFF FROM THE DEALER FOR INSTALLING THIS WHICH SCOTTSDALE ARIZONA CHAPMAN JEEP DEALER WHICH WANTED $900 FOR PART AND INSTALL. THEY ARE LESS THAN DESIRABLE TO DEAL WITH AND WAY OVERPRICED.
SO TRY THIS YOURSELF AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY YOU DID.
I installed the TIPM this morning and also had several lights stay on the first time. I followed the procedures stated above to reprogram it again. The second time all the lights with the exception of the Airbag Light went out. I've repeated the steps 4 additional times and the Airbag Light still won't go out. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Old 11-17-2016, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tuc8458
Hi all,

Thanks!
My 2009 Wrangler Sahara has also had interior light issues. The interior lights turn on when the door is open but not when I use the switch. That's the only gremlin I have but am interested in seeing if your issues resolve with replacing the TIPM.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=Arctic Blue;3854917]I have intermittent provlems on my 2012 sahara. ..build date of 12/7/11. All dash lights light up, speedometer drops to zero and back up to speed, radio lights go off but still play and radio plays through front speakers until radio is shut off amd turned on. No issues with horn, wipers or airbag light...

If you have an adapter to watch dvd in motion. try removing it. Mine caused the same problem you are experiencing.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Default Tipm problems.

I just replaced my tipm and the air bag light is on and the fog lights don't work. I think the fog light problem is a wire has to be move in the c4 connecter. Im not sure which one? The air bag problem Im not sure of. Any suggestions would be great. The reason that I had to change tipm was that the front wipers quit working.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:44 AM
JK Newbie

Ok my front fog lights are acting like my turn signals and my turn signals act light my fog lamps. So 2 wires must be crossed in that c4 connecter. My Jeep is a 2012 Wrangler Sport.

Quick Reply: JK TIPM Problem Solved!