Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JW Speaker issues. Need opinions please!

Old 07-12-2015, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, the box on the left, (Driver side) the solid rectangle box, is visible on everything ahead of me, it does not disperse light. The right side (passenger) disperses light with no noticeable "spot light" effect. I'd assume up close to a wall, you're going to have a box of some sort because none of the light is being dispersed. However, I did that to show that right out of the headlight, they are different looking, causing different light beams on the road. When I put my high beams on, both look identical on a wall like that. I believe the drivers side light is faulty, as there shouldn't be a box of very bright light shining ahead of me. It is a crisp, noticeable "box" of light. Perhaps I should try taking a video of me driving and see if I can catch what it looks like. Hoping to head back from Northridge 4x4 soon.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Got another pic from further back, and also a video that captures what I'm seeing pretty well. You can tell there is a clear "spotlight" type light coming from the left headlight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7439_zpsrrjjhvtb.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	617924

Also have a video, which I hope I can link to on this site.

https://vimeo.com/133550942 (Hope the video works, first time using Vimeo).
Old 07-15-2015, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both ours look like your driver one. I will say something is wrong with the passenger side light. For some reason our passenger side light was angled towords the driver side too, so we had to get the horizontal adjustment screw to angle it back to the passenger side.

As for those the think the Truck Lights are still better than the JW Speaker, have not seen the new EVO 2 in action. They blow the TL out of the park in low and high beam.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TwistedII
Hey all, so I have the newest version of the JW Speaker LED headlights on my Jeep. I immediately noticed a difference in the light beams between the left and right lights.
Those aren't the light beams, but the typical JW Speaker pretty prominent hot spots.
Those hot spots are annoying, regardless of whether their shape is identical or not...

I join the others who find that Truck Lites' have more uniform light pattern, and better high beams.

Last edited by GJeep; 07-15-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

So wait, the light that I thought was broken is actually the correct one? So if Northridge ever emails me back and sends me another light, I'll have 2 prominent hot spots?
Old 07-15-2015, 11:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TwistedII
So wait, the light that I thought was broken is actually the correct one? So if Northridge ever emails me back and sends me another light, I'll have 2 prominent hot spots?
Yes, the one on the right looks like the typical JW Speaker hot spot.
The more rectangular one is the exception.

If the hot spots disturb you, try to cancel the deal and pick something else.
(Some complain even about the pretty small 'V' shaped hot spots of the Truck Lites, which are the smallest hot spots there is.)

A headlight emits a certain total amount of light. The larger and brighter the hot spot is, the more light it draws out of the total amount, and less light is left for the rest of the light spread.
No headlight is completely free of hot & dark spots. Some headlights have more even light spreads than others.

Last edited by GJeep; 07-15-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Of all the pictures and videos I've seen online, I haven't noticed any hotspots from JW Speakers like the OP is showing. This doesn't look right to me.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same lights and am very happy with mine. I've never noticed a hot spot while driving with mine, however when parked close to a wall the light does have a rectangle shaped hot spot. Here is some pictures I took (hard to show a true representation of the light output) and a link to a video I made showing them as well.

Video:
https://youtu.be/iZKu94_IJwk

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7511.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	618162Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7525.PNG
Views:	308
Size:	979.3 KB
ID:	618163Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7527.PNG
Views:	287
Size:	703.3 KB
ID:	618164
Old 07-16-2015, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

Bad1Chad, thank you so much for posting that. See, your two lights look identical to my passenger one. My driver side one looks way different. There is definitely something wrong with my driver side light, so I hope I can get it resolved. I have always been real happy with Northridge 4X4, so I am sure they will pull through. Other than this issue, I love these lights sooooo much. By far the best investment for my rig so far.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

No worries. Best of luck with it. I'm sure Northridge will help you out. Let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: JW Speaker issues. Need opinions please!