Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

kc highlight issue

Old 10-21-2014, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kc highlight issue

I've had these for about 3 yrs nd had no problems until I put them on my new jeep. Went from a 2011 to a 14.
They are the daylighters and I have them wired to work off my hi beams. They quit working I replaced.the switch then the relay. Relay fixed it for a short time, then they quit again. Only connections are at the lights and they appear to be good.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If replacing the relay fixed it the first time, then it is probably the relay again. Are you using the correct rated relay? How many amps are the lights? How many amps is the relay? One relay or two? Headlight feed used in the control circuit of the relay?

A little more information would allow us to get a better idea so we can do our best to help you.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
If replacing the relay fixed it the first time, then it is probably the relay again. Are you using the correct rated relay? How many amps are the lights? How many amps is the relay? One relay or two? Headlight feed used in the control circuit of the relay?

A little more information would allow us to get a better idea so we can do our best to help you.
Sorry I'm unsure of those numbers. It's what kc sends with the light kit. I replaced it with the kc relay that was used before. Not much help I'm sure. I'll order another, May have not been a good one. It is a single relay. I think 100 watts or 130.

6" SlimLite Pair Pack System
Old 10-21-2014, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeeptang
Sorry I'm unsure of those numbers. It's what kc sends with the light kit. I replaced it with the kc relay that was used before. Not much help I'm sure. I'll order another, May have not been a good one. It is a single relay. I think 100 watts or 130.

6" SlimLite Pair Pack System
Here's the relay kit they supplyhttp://www.kchilites.com/relay-wiring-harness-kc-6315.html
Old 10-21-2014, 01:09 PM
JK Junkie

To convert watts to amps, the formula is:

Amps=Watts/volts.

So if they are 100 watts, they should draw 8.3 amps each for a total of 16.67 amps.

If they're 130 watts each, they should draw 10.83 amps each or 21.67 amps total.

The harness you linked is listed for a 40 amp relay with a 30 amp switch, which is good. The fuse it comes with says 20A or 25A. So the 100 watts lamps come with the 20A and the 130 watt lamps come with the 25A. Since the fuse is designed to blow before the relay, I would expect that to happen. Have the fuses been okay when the relay stopped working? Did you tap the high beam wire to the white wire from the harness? Do you have a good ground on the black wire?
Old 10-21-2014, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
To convert watts to amps, the formula is:

Amps=Watts/volts.

So if they are 100 watts, they should draw 8.3 amps each for a total of 16.67 amps.

If they're 130 watts each, they should draw 10.83 amps each or 21.67 amps total.

The harness you linked is listed for a 40 amp relay with a 30 amp switch, which is good. The fuse it comes with says 20A or 25A. So the 100 watts lamps come with the 20A and the 130 watt lamps come with the 25A. Since the fuse is designed to blow before the relay, I would expect that to happen. Have the fuses been okay when the relay stopped working? Did you tap the high beam wire to the white wire from the harness? Do you have a good ground on the black wire?

I won't have time to do it this week, but this weekend I will check fuse and my ground. I do have the high beam wire attached with a splice joint to the white wire. I'm sure it's something stupid. Thanks a lot for the help. I will let you know how it goes this weekend.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Junkie

Okay. Check all your connections and inspect the wires for any damage. Especially since it has been moved from one Jeep to another. Make sure the ground has good contact (bare metal under the ring and not paint). And finally, check the fuse, that may be your problem. But if the fuse is blown then it most likely because of a short, which is why you want to make sure there isn't any bare insulation on any of the power wires touching against metal.

You'll get it sorted. I have faith.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is your relay mounted? Is it possible that water is getting into it? This just happened with mine. Take a circuit tester to your connections and find out where the power is lost.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
How is your relay mounted? Is it possible that water is getting into it? This just happened with mine. Take a circuit tester to your connections and find out where the power is lost.
Good point. Hadn't thought of that. I have never had a relay fail.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Never thought of the moisture issue either.

Quick Reply: kc highlight issue