Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Kicker replacement sub

Old 07-15-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kicker replacement sub

Does kicker make a sub that has a factory harness attachment like the sound bar ones that just plug right in?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

That would be sweet!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Or has anyone put an aftermarket sub in the stock housing?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump. Anybody done this?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

I haven't done this but you can buy harnesses that will allow you to do this. The problem you might run into is finding a sub that will fit in terms of depth. Most aftermarket subs have bigger magnets than OEM sub and require more space. The bigger the box, the deeper the bass response. You can improve the bass response of a smaller box by using poly fil if you can find a sub that will fit. The sub will also have to be a dual voice coil sub. Check out crutchfield.

Originally Posted by Drop Top
Bump. Anybody done this?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Buy a stealthbox for 700! Haha, anyways free bump.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 PM
JK Newbie

Bump. Anybody done this?
yeah...i put in a 8" JL sub in the stock enclosure in my 07 Sahara....it sounds super nice to me...if i could get the enclosure to be a bit tighter...it would sound a bit better

fyi...i personally didn't do the install...i got the professionals to do it
Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump. Anybody done this?
This actually has been done quite a few times. A few rules you need to follow before the install, sorry there no easy replacement.
1. If keeping factory amp make sure you buy a duel voice coil 2 ohm sub. You don't want to over or under load your amp. When wiring, just cut factory harness and attach the wires the same as factory.
2. You might need to creat an adapter. Most aftermarket subs I have found to be a touch smaller in diameter to the factory. Also no deeper then 4" seams to fit nice. Polk and kicker both have options.

The factory box is plenty sufficient for an aftermarket 8" sub. Subwoofers, just like speakers, are designed for a specific sized box, not to large or small. Unlike a 12 or 15, 8's usually only require around 1/3 cubic foot, sounding far better in a smaller rather then larger box, and majority requiring sealed in closers making factory box almost perfect. If only made of MDF. last don't expect it to blow your mind unless you amp.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put an 8" Kicker VRComp Sub in the stock enclosure. I had to make an MDF spacer to fit the new sub. Too deep and hole pattern was different. Wasn't really impressed with it. Didn't sound bad or anything, but it didn't have enough power, so I added an additional amplifier for it. Much better now. BTW I have the infinity system.

Quick Reply: Kicker replacement sub