Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Kicker Upgrade???

Old 04-09-2015, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kicker Upgrade???

If this topic has been covered, I apologize. But the reviews on Amazon seem to be conflicting. Has anyone swapped out JUST the speakers without adding an amp or new head unit? Is there a big difference? And will it really matter in a topless vehicle? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:31 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cutman
If this topic has been covered, I apologize. But the reviews on Amazon seem to be conflicting. Has anyone swapped out JUST the speakers without adding an amp or new head unit? Is there a big difference? And will it really matter in a topless vehicle? Thanks.
co-axial vs non co-axial. That's big enough difference as-is and yes, I've done it.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes. I recommend replacing the overhead and the front speakers at the same time if you have the premium sound package, just one or the other will sound 'odd' as the new Kicker speakers sound better but are at a different output than the stock.

Note that I did *not* take this advice and regretted it.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

I just did mine yesterday but I have a headunit...great sound...better bass and mids...the kickers magnets are way heavier and the magnet is just massive compared to stock...i paid 70 for mine...i also added some polyfill in the soundbar...they are not amped so i don't notice too much, but its was a couple bucks...
Old 04-09-2015, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, the speakers alone, sound better. They will sound extremely better with an amp.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cutman
Just got my JKU in Janurary and my first thought was "SPEAKERS SOUND LIKE SH*T". With that being said I searched the web for upgrades and I wanted to try and keep the sound system as stock as possible to avoid amps, crossovers, running wires, and anything to complicated.

After reading all the mix review on the Mopar kickers, I was a little hesitant. I even contemplated on buying Polk Audio and than buying the connectors which will convert them to plug-n-play like the kickers. In the end it was going to cost $120 more to probably get the same sounds from the Kickers.

I made the jump bought the Mopar kickers and I finally got around to installing them today. All I can say is HUGE, Improvement from the factory standard speakers. Lot more bass, clarity is much better! I'm super happy with them.

I still have the OEM radio which output minimal wattage to the speakers and the speakers are great for what I want. Next week I'll be installing the new Pioneer 8100NEX and I know the pioneer outputs double the wattage compared to the OEM HU (which is still minimal) and I'm pretty sure they'll sound much better than.

If you don't want crap audio, get rid of the factory speakers. If your okay with good sound get the kickers, super easy to install too. If you want great sound, invest into a whole sound system. Me, personally I rather invest in getting my lift, wheels and my off-roading gear. That's why I settled for good.

Last edited by mericanHabit; 04-11-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Just did this and pleased with the outcome. Running the stock RES headunit, put in the fronts and soundbar. Also shoved some polyfill in there while I was at it. No sub or anything, but it's not a waste of $120.

The pic will give you a little comparsion of the magnets. Kicker left stock right.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thisissublime

Just did this and pleased with the outcome. Running the stock RES headunit, put in the fronts and soundbar. Also shoved some polyfill in there while I was at it. No sub or anything, but it's not a waste of $120.

The pic will give you a little comparsion of the magnets. Kicker left stock right.
Nice! Thanks for all of the feedback (and pics). Is the Glock there for moral support? Mine always is
Old 04-12-2015, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Question on the kickers; if you swap, do you end up swapping out tweeters (or disconnecting them), and where is the best place to buy 4?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:51 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.W.D.eLussey
Question on the kickers; if you swap, do you end up swapping out tweeters (or disconnecting them), and where is the best place to buy 4?
Keep the stock tweeters. From another thread I posted on:

1. If you have the 8" sub in the back from the factory, stuff that baby with polyfill. Night & day.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Got these that are tuned for the sound bar. Whatever the acoustic padding doesn't cover, stuff with polyfill.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...iglink20512-20

3. Upgraded the fronts to the co-axial Kickers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everything is still run at 2 ohms and still using the factory 730N head unit which I actually think is pretty good unit. System is definitely louder and most importantly clearer. For $220, I could not be any happier.

Took me about 1.5 hours to finish everything.

Quick Reply: Kicker Upgrade???