Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Kicker Upgrade???

Old 04-14-2015, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
I've been wanting these for a while now
Made the swap last year and did the poly fill in the sound bar. Money well spent. I also upgraded the 1 inch tweeters in the dash. Well rounded sound and loud when running Nekkid!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-14-2015, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cutman
Yes. I kept the stock head unit. And I ordered the ones that DJ1 shared on Amazon^^^. I also used polyfill and noticed a difference. I usually don't go over 20 on my head unit. So maybe your stockers are already shot. For the price, without adding an amp or new head, I'd imagine it's about as good as you can get.
He shared two links, what one did you get? I see one is for 4ohms the the other 2ohms. Yea i think they're blown already. Well at least one side. Defiantly not the sound I want. It has no bass, mids sound crappy and run together, highs are washed.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anviljk
He shared two links, what one did you get? I see one is for 4ohms the the other 2ohms. Yea i think they're blown already. Well at least one side. Defiantly not the sound I want. It has no bass, mids sound crappy and run together, highs are washed.
I got the first link. Replaced all four of mine with those. Mopar kicker upgrades. Very happy

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-14-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bgniko
I got the first link. Replaced all four of mine with those. Mopar kicker upgrades. Very happy Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Do you have the premium sound system? I thought the stock speakers were 2ohms and if replaced with 4ohm speakers would not be as loud.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by anviljk

I ordered the first link but haven't done the rest yet.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is polyfill better than the boom mat things? Boom Mat 050331 - Boom Mat? 6.5" Ovehead Soundbar Speaker Baffle Pair for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Old 04-14-2015, 06:42 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have the sub, I think those would be worth a try. If you have the sub, I'd say skip it because chances are after you polyfill your sub enclosure you're going to have plenty left to stuff the soundbar my 2 cents...
Old 04-14-2015, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJ1
If you don't have the sub, I think those would be worth a try. If you have the sub, I'd say skip it because chances are after you polyfill your sub enclosure you're going to have plenty left to stuff the soundbar my 2 cents...
That makes sense. I don't have a sub in mine.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I have two pair of the Kicker speakers on the way from Amazon. Seemed like a worthy upgrade for $72 a pair! Are there tweeter upgrades that are as good and simple of an upgrade? Or maybe they're not worth upgrading?
Old 04-20-2015, 06:12 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by auceny
So I have two pair of the Kicker speakers on the way from Amazon. Seemed like a worthy upgrade for $72 a pair! Are there tweeter upgrades that are as good and simple of an upgrade? Or maybe they're not worth upgrading?
I think you'll be surprised how much of a difference it makes just upgrading to a co-axial speaker. You'll get more midrange so vocals will come out more and a little more high end. Because of the larger magnets, you'll get a little boost on the low end as well. Overall you get more clarity.

You could upgrade the tweeters but then you run the risk of running too "bright" or too much treble. An overload on high end frequency's also cause ear fatigue. Not necessarily a bad thing if you like a lot of treble in your music but since you're not running a subwoofer (stock or aftermarket) to balance out the high ends then it's probably not worth to upgrade.

Quick Reply: Kicker Upgrade???